Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

my first video is online

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

my first video is online

5 posts
  1. My Webpage

     

    I have uploaded a compressed version of my very first attempt at UW video. Take a look and tell me what you think.

    Edited by stewsmith
  2. Good first effort.... and now for the suggestions.

    Lower your audio levels, much too high....you can hear the clipping

    Keep your clips between 3-5 seconds....why so long on the boat?

    What was the purpose for the shot of the crew in the background?

    When you pan in one direction, do not pan back in the other direction

    Skip the diver from behind who waves at the cam

    Practice keeping that cam steady and try to get lower so that there is a slight upward tilt to the cam.

    Have a theme, thus, unless changing that theme, your music should create a mood rather than serve simply as background.

    Do not use too many different transitions, especially cheesy ones...there is nothing that yells out

    'amatuer' more that an editor who tries to use every transition their NLE allows.

    At first, try to keep your films to less than 5 minutes..do not fall in love with your own footage, you will find that by keeping a critical eye and cutting everything but the money shots your films will greatly improve.

    Never shoot down on a creature, it just flattens out the scene

     

    Forgive me if you feel I am being too harsh..but these really are suggestions that may help. You might want to read my article at: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/underwater_douglas.html

     

    Steve B)

  3. Hi, I have no prblem with any constructive critisism. Far from it. I know what you are saying about all of the points and yes I do agree. You know what its like, you have a new toy and want to use it. lol..... Advice like angling the camera slightly upwards is something that i would never have thought of. After reading it i can understand why.

    The trip in fairness to me was just for me to get used to the video camera. I have never used one on land or whilst diving and booked the week in Egypt so i could take some footage, mess around a bit, put it online and get some feed back from people in the know. looks like I done well because you have given me some valuable bits of advice ready for the Galapagos in 6 weeks time. I will read your article right now. cheers for the advice. Stew

  4. Hey, glad you took the suggestions in the spirit they were given. The 1st time, wow, what a thrill. By next year I will expect you to submit something for the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival; you'll be a full fledged pro by then. Congrats on a whole new venture

    Steve B)

  5. yea no worries mate, i have just read your article. The more I read, the more knowledge I have, which can only be a good thing.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.