Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

clingfish from solomon islands

Started by echeng ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

clingfish from solomon islands

10 posts
  1. I had dinner with Cor and Julie tonight, and Cor suggested that I post this up here for ID. It had been so long since I had looked at my photos from Marovo Lagoon (Solomon Islands) that I had forgotten about a lot of them! :rolleyes:

     

    Funky-patterned clingfish.

     

    040829_100414_echeng0349.jpg

     

    You can see about 8 clingfish in this photo:

     

    040814_203857_echeng0053.jpg

  2. I think it is just the Crinoid Clingfish Discotrema crinophila showing a molted pattern.

  3. The Allen & Steene book has something similar as Discotrema crinophila but I think that's a mistake. It's in several other books & websites as just Discotrema sp which implies it's undescribed. Rocha will have to tell us the current status.

     

    So where are the worms? :rolleyes:

  4. Hi Eric,

    It looks like it has a leopardskin coat on! These (If it is Discotrema crinophila) are extremely variable in colour, so perhaps it's just a camouflage tactic to blend in with the base of the crinoid, seeing it's so crowded everywhere else! :rolleyes:

    There is another crinoid clingfish from this area that's on Fishbase, but the photo's poor, and I couldn't find another photo on the 'net.

    http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=23229

    Might bear looking into.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  5. I will send it off to the specialist in the group (John Briggs) and see what he says, but I am inclined to say it is D. crinophila. Nice photo by the way.

     

    Luiz

  6. If it's D. crinophila where's the mid-dorsal stripe? Randall, Allen & Steene (GBR & Coral Sea) have this form with the single lateral stripe as Discotrema sp.

  7. The newer Indo-Pacific Fish Humann, Allen & Steene book states it may or may not have the dorsal stripe.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  8. Taxonomists.... always changing their little minds....... :rolleyes::blink:

  9. I recognize the leopard pattern on that creature, it is the PegBundii fish.....

     

    :lol:

  10. :lol::lol:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.