Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon v. Canon

Started by sledgewrt ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon v. Canon

2 posts
  1. I would be obliged for some advice, please.

     

    My underwater photography is currently with a couple of Nik V's, a Nikonos SB 105 and an Ikelite Ai.

     

    I would like to move to digital and currently use a Powershot G2 on land, which I am delighted with.

     

    Should I simply buy the Ikelite housing and digi strobe or should I change my system?

     

    I raise the question as there seems to be no strong user base of G2 underwater users, compared with [say] Olympus. Is it not good underwater?

     

    Alternately will my 105 strobe link ok [better] with a Coolpix 500 and housing, that way I don't loose too much on the sale of my exisiting strobes, but do have to buy a new camera and housing!!

     

    Realistically, I suppose that I will have a budget of up to about GBP 1500 with my cash and the sale of my Nik V bodies and lenses.

     

    Appologies, if I've asked something blindingly obvious, but I would appreciate some opinions in helping me to make a decision.

     

    Many thanks

     

    Simon

  2. Both of your strobes will sync with the Nikon Coolpix cameras using a "traditional" sync cord connected to the housing. Nothing new there.

     

    The G2 is a great camera, but if you compare $$$$ to buy new compatible strobes, it's probablyl more cost effective to buy the coolpix or other "sync cord compatible" camera.

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.