I have the lens but no port for it, so I can't answer the "during the dive" part.
The macro mode is controlled via a switch, not a button. The switch does two things. First, it locks out zoom between 24-35mm. Secondly it enables the close focusing range (of course). Everything else seems the same.
The 1.6 foot minimum focus distance applies to non-macro mode, for macro I get a minimum focus distance of about 8 inches. Since the lens is 6 inches long, the working distance is only about 2" (essentially on the port glass). I am unable to get much improvement in magnification with diopters since the working distance is already so small.
I get a horizontal field width (through the viewfinder) of about 41-42mm. That's less than 1:1.2 film equivalent and a little better than website says it will do. It is clearly not a high power macro lens but could be quite useful with the D100/S2.