Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Diopter in Gates VX2000 filter arm?

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Diopter in Gates VX2000 filter arm?

9 posts
  1. I thought of this when reading the other thread about doing this on the Amphibico FX1 housing.

     

    I'm off to Manado/Lembeh to shoot mainly macro and I'm wondering if anyone has tried using a diopter in the filter flip arm on the Gates VX2000 housing?

     

    I am interested in trying this, particularly for night dives where I would not use the blue water filter. Or even doubling up with one screwed to the camera and the other in the filter arm.

     

    I have a set of Hoya diopters that are 58mm (for screwing to the front of the VX2000) and it looks like these might fit OK, albeit a bit loose.

     

    Nick

  2. Nick,

     

    Pretty sure that you have the right size.

     

    Try it out before you go.

  3. Hi Nick,

    Why worry about the arm at all? If you are going especially to Manado for Macro I would remove the arm altogether! Its only held on by a few screws. I would then make absolutely sure that you have the right sized filters. Use the flat port and off you go. IF you're gonna double up on diopters directly on the camera make sure that the highest magnigfication factor diopter is closest to the camera i.e if using a configuration of a +4 and a +2 then screw the +4 first to the camera and then add the +2 onto the +4.

     

    Hope it goes well.

    Mark.

  4. Thanks Mark, I was just thinking about giving myself more options. For example if I'm stacked up with a +4 and a +2 both screwed to the camera then I'm stuffed if anything bigger than a nudibranch or cowrie comes along. Having a diopter in a filter arm would just give more flexibility. But if I'm on a dive with a specific goal, say a pygmy seahorse, then fine.

     

    On night dives here in the Andaman I tend to use a +2 now with a flat port (I used to go with the +4) and this paid dividends the other night when I managed to zoom out enough to fit a 2 foot wide blotched fantail ray in the frame, and pretty sharp too. It was the only one on our trip so I was relieved to get it. But that combination can get me some good close-ups too.

     

    I don't know the Manado/Bunaken/Lembeh diving at all yet so I don't know if I'll be using lights a lot on day dives or not, or if there's much sizeable stuff around. Over here I'm a natural light junkie and my lights rarely come on in the daytime, so to be swimming around with no CC filter will be a different way of working indeed.

     

    Nick

  5. Hi Nick,

    I wouldn't imagine that you're gonna be ambushed by mating Whalesharks whilst focusing on the rhinophores of your captive nudie in Manado! Decide what you want to go for and just pray that you chose wisely. I prefer doubling up on diopters, flat ports, full batteries and a mindset to ignore the cavorting mantas overhead (sorry Mike) whilst trying to get the required shot of some critter in the sand.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  6. Diving Lembah will be an incredible experience for you. I have never come back with so much usable footage. In the day lights will not always be necessary but I used them anyway to bring out the colors. While I was using a super macro lens and loved it for the entire trip, using a number 3 diopter with the Gates Flat Port would be the way to go. As someone said, definitely practise with it before leaving. If you skip any dives, do not skip any of the night dives...oooohhhh that would be a shame.

    Steve B)

  7. Oh you've got me all excited now :) Don't worry Steve, I won't be missing any night dives, I love 'em.

     

    I've only got the Hoya set of +1 +2 and +4 so I expect I'll be mainly selecting +2 or +4 depending on the site and what the guides reckon I'll see.

     

    Nick

  8. Nick

    You can screw the #1 into the #2 and make a 3, you might lose the use of the internal UR filter but since you will be using lights, that won't make a bit of difference

    Steve B)

  9. And another "Hey Nick",

     

    When are you in Lembeh? Same here!

     

    As the others said, you are definitely in for a treat......

     

    Lights..... unless they are football pitch floodlight (100W HID, I think that you're on 10W HID aren't you?) then you can't beat the sunlight..... the water's too clear and the natural light too bright...... even at 40m.......

     

    In the straits though, of course, it is murkier, the sunlight gets filtered out quicker and you have to compete less with it..... your's should suffice.......

     

    Diopter..... have you put it into the flip yet? In theory it works........... just as pmooney said..... set it all up now and check all the different options on the baldes of grass in your garden at home......

     

    See you in the muck I hope!

     

    Chris

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.