Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Why the ocean is salty

Started by Kelpfish ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Why the ocean is salty

15 posts
  1. Need I say more?

    post-1513-1146340049_thumb.jpg

  2. So why are the Seas saltier ?

     

    and those are cool markings on a blue whale, i never saw that before, kinda like a whale shark.

  3. I believe that is a whale shark... doesn't look like a whale to me....

  4. I believe that is a whale shark... doesn't look like a whale to me....

     

    It can't be Whale Shark. Sharks don't have a penis :)

  5. Yeah and they don't have photoshop to fake a falice either !

     

    shame about that abnormal deformity growth on the back that looks like a dorsal fin too.

     

    Oh and no one knows why seas are saltier than oceans? I have always said as they are more confined and less current than oceans is the reason. Pretty sure seas don't have more Blue Whale Sharks in them ... lol

    Edited by digitallywet
  6. Actually - I personally don't think the shot was photoshopped - most likely this is a case where the entrails are being forced out of the anus due to the extreme pressure from the two ropes and the animals bodyweight. In this case the photographer got lucky and happened to shoot a very "phallic" shot of the sharks' innards...As they say - being in the rght place at the right time...

     

    cheers!

     

    - MP

  7. See...Matt is the kind of scientist who knows all about shark penis...

     

    :):angry::wub:

  8. Hey, it happens to weightlifters too. Oh god that's gross.

     

    James

  9. Actually - I personally don't think the shot was photoshopped -

     

    What ever it is, I like the big red circle around it-------as if one would miss noticing.

  10. Hey it looks like it's even been circumcised :)

     

    Yep that's a Whale Shark and yep it has been in Photoshop.

    I believe Whale Sharks have two claspers (man tools) as well.

  11. Just out of curiousity...how big do Whale Sharks get. Assuming the fellow up front is 5ft tall that shark appears to eclipse 40ft easily.

  12. I beleive they can get up to 60 ft.

  13. I make no claims to its authenticity as it was my high school wrestling coach who sent it to me.

  14. The general concensus for maximum total length (from the point of the snout to the end of the caudal fin) for whale sharks is approximately 60 ft or 18 m. According to my information the largest accurately measured shark was a 40 ft 7 in (12.2 m) male cuaght off bombay in 1983. As with most sharks, sexual dimorphism is prevalent, aka the females grow larger than the males and the estimates of 60 ft seem to be easily within the sphere of possibility. I can speak from experience that anyone who has been to Galapagos can attest - 50+ ft females (estimated but I would say pretty accurate) whale sharks are pretty common...I am lucky that whalesharks are one of the species some of my research efforts focus on...

     

    cheers!

     

    - MDP

  15. This big girl, off Darwin Island in the Galapagos, was easily 50 feet long. The diver beneath the shark to the left gives some scale, with the diver's fins extended you are probably looking at 6.5/7 feet length of diver, and (s)he is directly under the left pectoral fin.

     

    P8310009.jpg

     

    Not the greatest shot in the world, but it certainly shows the scale...

    Edited by Craig Ruaux
AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.