Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How should I clean my lenses?

Started by diverhead.com ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

How should I clean my lenses?

3 posts
  1. Hey guys, I'm a newbie! I want to ask the pros some simple questions before I use my brand spankin' new Olympus PWC-01 wide angle lense. How should I clean it when it gets dirty? I'm new to photography in general, let alone underwater photography.

     

    Also, I heard that the lense should be installed on the housing while in water to prevent bubbles from getting trapped. Is this correct?

     

    Thanks for the help!

  2. The trick is never get it so dirty it requires cleaning!

     

    As soon as you get out of the water the lens should be rinsed in fresh water long enough to release the salt in an ocean evironment or general grime from inland sites and rivers. When you shower take lens and housing in too. Dry off the lens & housing with a soft towel and finish with a soft or optic cloth. Keep lens in a neoprene zipped bag or at least somewhere safe.

     

    Always remove external optics before you leave the water - this saves scratches or loss.

     

    Add on lenses should be fitted U/W after shaking vigourously to rid it of bubbles - Tip here is to rinse again before entering water as it helps stop bubbles sticking to the lens and the housing too.

     

    Don't forget the silicagel sachet in the housing too!

  3. Thanks for the bit of wisdom! I'm off to Hood Canal in Washington to break it in this weekend. Wish me luck!

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.