Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

best flash "calibration" technique?

Started by gwitek ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

best flash "calibration" technique?

3 posts
  1. I have spent about 30 min trying to do my homework here before posting but come back empty handed. I need some aiming please.

     

    I am shooting a D70 + Aquatica D70 + dual YS-120s. My first (and most recent) trip out was also my first trip w/o TTL in many years. I am committed to learn to shoot manual but I am struggling a bit. I got some decent shots but only through what feels like brute trial-and-error. I am lookiing for a pointer to an actual process or methodology to "calibrate" or "dial in" a manual stobe distances and power settings. I have seen it referred to but not seen the actual steps laid out or a link thereto.

     

    TIA

    Greg

  2. You can use the guide number of your strobe as a rough place to start from. I think the YS-120 has a GN of about 32fsw (someone please confirm this). So if you're shooting F16, your strobes should be about 2 feet from your subject to achieve proper exposure. At F8, the distance would be 4feet, and generally speaking, the correct distance will be GN/Aperture

     

    To be sure you have achieved proper exposure, you can check the histogram (e.g. no spike on the right means no gross over-exposure), and adjust based on that.

  3. Hi,

    I have both D-70 & 2x YS120 Duo & I only use this combination for wide angle pic (1m+ arm + full power) as it is too strong for macro & has no way to properly adjust the power for D-70 - ISO 200 default camera.

     

    Sam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.