Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

one more Philippines nudi

Started by FlyingKiwi ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

one more Philippines nudi

4 posts
  1. I thought I'd identified this nudibranch as Phyllidia ocellata, but now I see that I'm wrong:

     

    NotPhyllidiaOcellata0306.jpg

     

    I couldn't find it on any of the slug websites I frequent, so if you could help out with an identification then I'd be grateful!

     

    Richard.

  2. Dear Richard,

     

    we think your identification is correct. You can see more on Poppe-Images

     

     

    It is common here in the central Philippines and apparently the black circles are quite variable.

     

    Guido

  3. Guido's right. It's the most variable of the "lumpy bumpy" nudibranchs but the combination of large white lobes, yellow body, & black circles is unmistakable.

  4. Thanks, Guido and Leslie.

     

    While researching this species for the web page I'm putting together, all the photos seemed to have yellow tubercles. However, now I see that the sea slug forum does mention that the tubercles can be yellow or white.

     

    Out of interest, what function do the lobes perform?

     

    Richard.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.