Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Burma (Myanmar) and Similan Islands video

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Burma (Myanmar) and Similan Islands video

14 posts
  1. Here's 6-7 minutes of highlights from a Burma/Similan liveaboard I did with Santana Diving at the end of March.

     

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1631174657279091520

     

    This was originally a "taster" at the beginning of the 90-minute DVD. As an online promo it's probably a bit slow moving, especially the macro stuff towards the beginning.

     

    Bear with it, the mantas and whalesharks are at the end :unsure:

     

    Google's "streamed" version is 320 pixels wide but the "downloaded" version is 420 px wide so I recommend you do that.

     

    Brutally frank feedback appreciated as ever.

     

    Nick

  2. Nick

    You have some great clips there, well done.

    Love the clear water.

    I recond I have swan with that same Whale Shark here :unsure:

     

    Love the frog / toad fish or whatever you call him.

     

    Did you shoot that with the Gates, abit of vignetting around the edges I see. Well you are not alone there.

  3. Thanks Wags.

     

    Yeah, VX2000 in Gates housing. From memory on fully wide it vignettes about the same as the Amphibico VX2000 housing.

     

    I normally zoom in a bit to get rid of the vignetting but it's difficult to know when to stop when doing a zoom out (e.g. That young whale shark next to the boat).

     

    Apparently that last whale shark, about 7m(?), is known as "big boy" and has been around these parts before. He(?) has a tiny v-shaped nick in the top of his tail.

     

    That anglerfish has been camped out at East of Eden for the whole season.

     

    Nick

    Edited by bubblevision
  4. Great red frogfish clip and some sweet juvinile whaleshark clips as well.

    Steve<;^--> B)

  5. Beautiful video, Nick, with pretty clips. The truth that I envy much your videos to have sites that you find much more fauna than the one than habitually encounter in my place. Congratulations and I hope to see more videos yours. :unsure: .. a greeting.

  6. Hi Nick

     

    Really loved the video - the macro shots especially were outstanding. 10/10!!

     

    The only other thing to say is that Google video sucks - I had to try at least 20 times before I could finally get to watch the whole film!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  7. Oops, I've just put my top few vids on Google video and taken them off my own site to save bandwidth costs. Better think again I guess.

     

    Is anyone else having trouble viewing it?

     

    Thanks for the kind words guys.

  8. Great stuff! Really enjoyed the macro and big stuff. Ater just getting back from Donsol...damn is your whale shark moving slowly....ours were like freight trains coming through. Beautiful vis as well.

     

    Where were you diving with the WS?

  9. No problem here viewing over a LAN

     

    My only interest is higher resolution, but that's a future computing issue.

  10. Where were you diving with the WS?

    The baby was at Fan Forest Pinnacle, near Western Rocky Island in the Mergui Archipelago, Myanmar. "Big Boy" was at good old Richelieu Rock, Thailand.

     

    These were only my 2nd and 3rd whale shark sightings. Previous one was also at Richelieu Rock one year before. And that one took me 4-5 years of Andaman diving to see.

  11. that sounds more consistent with my experiences in thailand...they've eaten most of the whale sharks. good for you finding one that wasn't just a baby! We bumped into one in Bida Nai Phi Phi in Jan...what a nice suprise. we should dive next time I am in thailand.

  12. Watched it a second time. Very cool.

  13. Hi Nick

     

    The probelms I had with google video may be just at my end by the sound of it if no one else is having problems. I guess that's what happens when you try to use a wireless connection through 5 walls!! I just wish my wife would put up with the cable running through the hallway, but alas no! :unsure:

     

    Cheers, Simon

  14. Simon, The default "streaming" option on Google Video stutters here in Thailand too. But then so does video from embedded WMV, youtube and just about everyone else.

     

    It's best if you click "download" on the right of the Google page. You will need to get the Google video viewer. The video will play and stutter as it downloads but once it's downloaded you can replay it smoothly.

     

    The videos downloaded from Google are 480 pixels wide and based on Divx 5. They're pretty good as long as what you upload to them is good. The streamed version is only 320 pixels wide and not as good.

     

    Nick

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.