Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Help with rays

Started by jarhed ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with rays

6 posts
  1. This is a pic I took in a school of rays in Cabo. It is quite possibly the most awesome experiance I've had underwater, but it was pretty murkey and my pics do not do it justice. I have Photoshop 7, Can anyone offer suggestions to save this pic?

     

    Many thanks,

    John

    post-6271-1146808418_thumb.jpg

  2. Wow, that will be a tough fix. I think this gets into areas for which I am not familiar in PS. I'll await the exterts. Was the water really that ugle or was it a combo of settings and clarity?

  3. The vis was pretty bad ~15-20ft, combined with no strobe and fairly deep (50ft).

     

    I know it's asking alot, but even small improvements would be help me keep the pic. I'm still learning how to use PS.

     

    Thanks,

    John

  4. I'm not sure whether you'd call that better, but there's more contrast, and you can see more rays. The picture is very noisy, and there's very little information to start with...

     

    post-4904-1146971975_thumb.jpg

  5. That is nicer, how did you manage that? I assume that you adjusted the levels somehow. I have several shots that are similar and would like to try similar adjustments.

     

    Thanks!!!

    John

  6. You're right. I adjusted the levels a fair bit (actually, I used Curves, which is more accurate than Levels, but the principle is similar). After that, I sharpened the picture a bit (lightness sharpening only), and got rid of some colour noise. Not great, but probably a bit better than the original.

     

    Good luck with the other shots!

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.