Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Please help keep Wetpixel on Wikipedia

Started by echeng ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Please help keep Wetpixel on Wikipedia

13 posts
  1. Hey, guys. Wetpixel has made it on Wikipedia.org (go to http://en.wikipedia.org/ and search for "Wetpixel").

     

    Here's the problem:

     

    One of my friends put a wiki page up about me (as "Eric Cheng"), and there is a bunch of talk in the "talk" area about whether I deserve to have a page or not (arguing about notability and vanity, etc.) It doesn't help that it was modified from my computer by my buddy, which tagged the article as being modified by the person it's about. And since my name and Wetpixel are related, the talk has extended over to the Wetpixel entry.

     

    These guys don't know anything about underwater photography and how important our site here has become in the industry. I don't really care one whether I get to keep the page on me (other than that it seems cool to have your own wiki page), but we really need Wetpixel to stick!

     

    So if you're a wiki savvy person, please check out the Wetpixel page and add some reference to why we deserve to be notable! Don't edit if you're not wiki savvy. They like facts that can be backed up by references. No opinions, please. Those get deleted, and if you piss off the mods too much, they start banning and deleting. :P

  2. OK, so I finally went through the relevant talk pages, and neither entry is currently in danger of being deleted.

     

    If you're interested in the debate that led to my personal entry being kept as part of Wikipedia, it's here:

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...tion/Eric_Cheng

     

    It's always fun to see discussions about yourself on the web. I feel like saying, "hey! I'm right here! can't you see me? I'm a real person!"

     

    :P

     

    Having said that, it doesn't hurt to let you all know that Wetpixel does exist on Wikipedia. If something notable happens to Wetpixel and it's documented by a third party, head on over and amend the article! If I do it, or if the reference is on Wetpixel itself, the moderators don't like it.

     

    It's akin to people being overly commercial on our forums here, I suppose. :D

    Edited by echeng
  3. What a nasty thing to say.......

     

    "Someday he may be notable but now he is just a photography fanboy with forum fanboys"

     

    I wonder what all the "fanboys" think about that ?

  4. What exaclty is Wikipedia? i thought was a dictionary site or search thing like google.. guess i should go check it out eh?

     

    Can you tell i never have before!?

  5. Hey! I am a fanboy!! That´s something I had never been called....

    Like Mike, I wasn´t sure what Wikipedia was about and I still don´t find its interest

  6. Wikipedia is like a open source Encyclopedia that anyone can go to and add their bit.

     

    Eric, will go there and let them know how much of a legend you are and your site :P

  7. hahaha, wags. what's your source going to be? :P

     

    signed,

    photography fanboy

  8. What exaclty is Wikipedia?  i thought was a dictionary site or search thing like google..  guess i should go check it out eh?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

     

    I hope your connection can handle the intensive bandwidth. ;)

  9. Is there a wiki page for 'fanboys' ?

  10. Is there a wiki page for 'fanboys' ?

    Is that rhetorical?

     

    If not, yes, there is.

  11. He fails the google test with only 683 hits ... ouch! :D

     

    Well for what its worth from the most unnoteworthy of unnotable fanboys, I will always have the notoriety of having received an email from Eric Cheng.

     

    "Thank you for joining Wetpixel" :P

     

    Good stuff

  12. He fails the google test with only 683 hits ... ouch!  :P

    Whatever! that guy was full of it. I did that same search of his and got 12,800 hits! :D

    Edited by echeng
  13. Turn on a ten-year-old, spoilt-little-brat-tone-of-voice......

     

    "Well........ MY Mum said she was VERY proud to find even ONE Google hit about ME..... and I think she found maybe two or three more than that....."

     

    But that's Mums for you isn't it? :lol:

     

    These people are jealous, Eric, simple as that.........

     

    If I can get close to 10 Google hits, then I'll feel like I succeeded and I'm gonna recommend Wikipedia-ing myself to Wikipedia personally........... ;):lol:

     

    what's wrong with a little self-promotion anyway? So long as the truth is told, in my mind, there is no problem.....

     

    Go gettem Eric.......

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.