Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Hydroid shrimp??

Started by caminu ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Hydroid shrimp??

7 posts
  1. EastKalimantan-200605_669.jpg

     

    I made this shot at Derawan Island, East Kalimantan, Indonesia. It looks like there are a pair of shrimps (?) lying on a hydroid. They are found at around 10m deep.

     

    Can anyone please identify this critter for me?

  2. My first impression is that these are Tozeuma shrimp but I'm not sure. Would you mind sending me a high-res version so I can take a better look?

  3. thanks for putting up the larger file. These aren't shrimp at all. They're isopods. since I don't know much about them I'll forward the url to some friends who are experts in the field.

  4. Okay, we have an answer. The short version is that yes, they are isopods probably in the family Idoteidae. Many members of this family are long & thin & live on blades of sea grass or algae. Now here's the long answer that my friend sent to me (for the taxonomists among us):

     

    "Nice resolution in the photo, although it doesn't allow view of some

    critical points. Even family may be tough. It is a flabelliferan isopod as

    far as I can see, and very probably an Idoteid. A few years ago the answer

    would have been definitely Idoteidae, but recent revisionary actions have

    split that family into several parts. This could also be in Chaetiliidae or

    Holognathiidae, although, based on distributional patterns for the families,

    it is probably not a holognathiid. The elongate body form and antennae held

    straight forward and close together suggests Idoteidae to me; it is a stance

    used by Erichsonella species in the NEP. I am less familiar with

    chaetiliids, however, and it could belong there as well. So few members of

    either family are known from the waters yielding this animal that it is new

    in all probability. Most members of both these candidate families are taken

    from algae or sea-grasses, not hydroids as shown in the photo. A number of

    chaetiliids are known from deep water near New Caledonia, however, so they

    are clearly not all algal associates. I don't have any of the MUSORSTOM

    cruise reports, so don't have access to most of the chaetiliid descriptions.

    I've checked through Poore and Lew Ton's revision of the Australian

    idoteids, but their material was all temperate, not tropical, and I didn't

    find a match with the photoed animal."

     

    Cheers, Leslie

  5. Thanks for the answer :D

  6. Is it just me, or are they not on a hydroid, but a crinoid? :D

    Edited by segal3
  7. Caminu

     

    here is waht Buzz Wilson said:

     

    "It may be a Holidoteidae, but I'm not certain. Certain key features are not clear in the image. I don't suppose you have a specimen."

     

    cheerio

     

    Art

     

    :D

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.