For a long time now I have been struggling with this question, so maybe some of you can steer me in the right direction...
There are times when I have trouble getting the desired dynamic range out of my camera. This applies more to topside photography, but does have some applications in the wet. Here are 2 examples...
When there is bright sun in part of the picture and another picture is in the shade I have troube getting both into the useable range.... either the bright areas are blown out and the shaddows are correct, or the shaddows are black and the bright areas are properly exposed. In this situation, what can be done to minimize dynamic range?
When the sky is overcast I often end up with pictures that have a uniform exposure throughought. They appear very flat and almost monochrome (I mean that figuratively). In this situation, is there anything that can be done to maximize dynamic range?
I understand that in some situations, there may be no good solution, but is there anything that can minimize these issues? camera settings? filters? etc.?
Thanks in advance for any help....