Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Flood Insurance?

Started by markh ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Flood Insurance?

17 posts
  1. I know the 'F' word.

     

    I would be interested to know how many of you out there have this or any other specific cover and how much your premiums are? I know we are from all over the globe but it would be interesting to compare.

     

    Mark H

     

    The pic is on me!!

  2. I've got insurance through DAN, which is available at DAN Flood Insurance. Covering my D60, 3 lenses, Sea and Sea housing, DS-50 strobe, strobe arms, and port, which is about $7,000, the premium is $122.

     

    One of the nicest features of this insurance is that you can add and remove items via the website, real-time. That way, if you get a new strobe or something, there's not a huge amount of effort required to cover it.

  3. insurance through DAN, which is available at DAN Flood Insurance.

     

    That link doesn't work, is it the correct one?

  4. Sorry, keep typing zero instead of ohhh.

     

    DAN Insurance

  5. I use my homeowners policy. In my case, up to $12600 worth of dive gear in general is automatically covered while away from home. To cover the camera and laptop for $9K, I had to add an all risk endorsement $75 + $6 respectively. This covers anything except the usual, an act of war, wear and tear, etc., with $100 deductible.

     

    PS. It does cover floods.

  6. My cover is the same sort of thing as Scotty's - It's by far the cheapest and most comprehensive way to insure everything at once. To insure my camera gear and computers separately I would have had to sell my X5

     

    Sponsored equipment is covered seperately - not my problem!

  7. My homeowners insurance policy *STATE FARM* will cover the housing, camera for total loss if stolen or damaged in a fire but will not if it's flooded or Damanged in normal use. I also use Dan to get the full coverage, after some research they were much more comprehensive than a typical home owners insurance policy. It does cost more but I sleep better.

  8. I too have the DAN insurance.

     

    Many people recommended DEPP, but after reading their policy, there was a clear reason for digital shooters NOT to go w/ DEPP - they do direct replacements only.

     

    Therefore, if you have an "out of date" digital setup and you flood it, they send you a "new" out of date camera. Imagine if you flooded your Olympus 3040 setup. You'd want to upgrade to a newer camera. Instead, DEPP would send you a new 3040.

     

    DAN sends you a check for the declared value of your losses. So if you feel it's time to upgrade after a flood, you can do so. That is a BIG plus in digital, IMO.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. That was the big reason I went with DAN too. With digital cameras moving so fast, I wouldn't want a 2 year old "new" camera, I'd rather upgrade...

  10. Useful. The moral being you get what you pay for! DAN seems to be the way forward.

  11. I can understand DEPP's attitide here.

     

    If you have paid to insure a 2040 then that's the end of the story - Why should they cough up for something newer. I expect fraud has a lot to do with this decission and anyone purchasing a lowend camera when there are newer ones around at the point of purchase should not expect any more. Everyone should be aware that technology advances quickly and either accept that or take up sun bathing.

  12. Bob,

     

    Your words of wisdom would grace a 'Spock' script.

  13. Hi Bob,

     

    That's not the way most insurance works here in the US. You insure your car or your house for a certain value.

     

    If you wreck your car or your house burns down, the insurance company doesn't come out to your property and build you a brand new exact copy of your old house...:) They cut you a check for the declared value and that's that.

     

    Now I totally agree with you about fraud. I don't condone it at all, because it's the reason insurance rates are so high to begin with! But we all know, camera housings DO flood.

     

    Cheers

    James

  14. Do you know if the DAN Insurace is in any form available in europe?

  15. They cut you a check for the declared value and that's that.

     

    And they leave you to suffer through dealing with the process of rebuilding... :)

  16. Do you know if the DAN Insurace is in any form available in europe?

    Here'e the link to DAN Europe. https://www.daneurope.org/index1.asp

     

    As far as I can see this covers medical insurance only. Application for equipment would probably have to be done through the head office in the US. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

     

    Mark

  17. It's not really DAN insurance, but insurance offered in partnership with DAN.

     

    Looking at the website it's only available to DAN members residing in the US...

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.