Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Histograms

Started by IMSushi ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Histograms

4 posts
  1. In a recent post it was mentioned about the use of a histogram on the LCD to check saturation and verify color. I am confused as to how that actually works. Not actually turning it on or off, but how to read it. How can one tell from the histogram what the saturation level is? Better yet, what should a histogram look like on the finished picture? I've toyed with this feature before and ended up turning it off because I just didn't know how to use it to my advantage.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Going to Key Largo and Key West tomorrow!!! Whoopie!!!! Vacation.

  2. Some cameras have separate histograms for red, green and blue components of the photo, so you can use these to verify color. Most cameras don't have this feature, so you can really only check exposure using the histogram.

     

    Richard.

  3. Here's a good article about it:

     

    Histogram

     

    I also like the explanation from the Thom Hogan books, but I can find it online.

  4. Thanks! The article really helped to at least start to put the concept of histogram exposure into my mind. Unfortunately, I use a P & S with auto exposure in JPEG not RAW, but i get the idea. Now, lets see if I can do it under water. :D

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.