Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish ID Needed

Started by kriptap ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish ID Needed

7 posts
  1. Well I thought that I found a Blue Hamlet here in Cayman today but looks not now, it was at about 100ft deep but was going deeper, I managed to snap 4 pics before he got to deep. I could not find it in the book but the closest I got was a Black Snapper (Juvenile) I was also shooting the 12-24 so this is a 100% crop, got some a bit bigger. It's about 6-8 inches in length, alone and swimming 100-125ft, not to shy but could not get any closer than about 6-8ft. Any Ideas?

     

    CAY0951.jpg

  2. Do you have any pictures of it swimming toward you or where it's face is more clear?

     

    Also, you are still in Grand Cayman?

    Edited by acroporas
  3. Based on the tail, my preliminary guess is Pagrus pagrus though I reserve the right to change my mind when you show me a picture of it's face.

    Edited by acroporas
  4. Don't have a good face shot, but don't think it's what you said, it looks very like a snapper, but I've never seen one this colour here before.

  5. I have only seen one of these on Cayman too. I think that it is a juvenile Black Snapper (see P117 of Human's book - 3rd Edition).

     

    CAY3977.jpg

     

    Alex

  6. I thought may be that to, but was not sure when I saw that the book says the size 2-3.5 inches, this was a good 6-8 inches, but may be it's just a big baby!

  7. I am from PETA, to wit, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and we wish to lodge a formal protest for referring to a fish as a "big baby", offending it's sensibilities......

     

     

    :blink:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.