Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sea & Sea 8000G and TIFF files

Started by Steve Parry ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea 8000G and TIFF files

7 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I bought a 8000G a few months back and have been evaluating in UK and tropical blue water.

     

    I have been editing/ manipulating my pictures in photshop CS.

     

    I decided that as I have fitted a 1GB SD card maybe I should use the camera

    on it's best resolution setting of NC 3264. This poduces TIFF files of about 15mb

    and on macro work, I can see a definite improvement in quality over the next lower setting of F 3264 (jpg).

     

    I'm not sure if there a variants of TIFF file formats ? Photo Shop would appear

    to support TIFF files but not these particular TIFF files ! A phone call to Sea & Sea

    UK confirmed Photo Shop CS does not open them but they did not know any

    decent manipulation software that could.....

     

    I'm no IT expert but the setting below NC 3264 is F 3264 and produces jpg files

    averaging 2.5 mb. So is this TIFF file format really a uncompressed jpg and

    some sort of comprimise ?

     

    Has anyone else had this problem and discovered a fix ?

     

    I would like software that could manipulate the image and also provide a

    spot tool and a means of adding text to images.

     

     

    Steve Parry

  2. Hello,

     

    I have the same problem. I open the Sea & Sea TIFF files using another image processing program, then re-save it as a TIFF file. Then I can open the TIFF file in Photoshop.

     

    My alternate image processing program is a Hewlitt-Packard program that came with my printer software.

     

    It's amazing that Ricoh (or any other company) would make a digital camera that produces photos that cannot be processed by Photoshop.

     

    Harry

  3. Harry,

     

    Thanks for the advice. Coincidentally I bought a Hewlett Packard Photosmart 8250 printer 2 weeks ago. I have not checked out all the features but I know it can open

    the 8000G TIFFS. I'll try usung this programme and saving before re-opening in photoshop.

     

    BTW i'm just completing an objective review of the 8000G for the camera report section of the British Sub Aqua Club's Travel Club website. Last weekend saw the third trip representing different diving conditions to provide the final raw material for the report so just a little more writing and additions to the photo gallery and the report should be on line soon.

     

    Regards

     

    Steve Parry

  4. Yup,

     

    The PC software that came with the HP 8250 printer allows me to open TIFF's from the 8000G then re-save as a tiff. I can the open the re-saved TIFF in Photoshop CS.

     

    Regards

     

     

    Steve Parry

    :blink:

  5. Greetings,

     

    From another really unhappy DX8000G buyer. I bought this camera because of its ability to soot pictures of large file sizes (NC TIFF). Now, as others have discovered this is basically a worthless format since the files can't be opened with the standard picture software of the world, Photoshop.

     

    And Sea & Sea (USA) does admit this problem. Ricoh knows about the problem; I'm not surfe if they care.

     

    This system is worthless to me if the NC TIFF pictures can't somehow be moved to Photoshop.

     

    I'm a Mac user & carry a Powerbook for downloading pictures from my digital cameras. I can move these NC TIFFs to the Macs but can't open them in Photoshop. Well, that's not altogether true. Some will open in iPhoto; others will not - for whatever that means.

     

    I tried the suggestion about about HP 8250 software. Finally located downloadable 8250 software - for Mac OS 10.2"+. And guess what, nice window comes up that will open the NC TIFFs. Probably a Mac thing that the PC will & the Mac won't.

     

    So - does anyone else out there have any suggestions about this problem. I'd appreciate hearing from you. Bonaire is looming.

     

    Robert

  6. Hi All,

     

    Also a Mac user. Had the same prob with my DX5000g. Graphic Converter does work to open and resave the TIFFs with no problems. Don't know about PCs, sorry.

     

    My 2 cents...

     

     

    Jams.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.