Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

CS2 on an Intel Mac

Started by Paul Kay ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

CS2 on an Intel Mac

11 posts
  1. Since upgrading to an Intel Mac (MacBook Pro + 20" Apple display) and CS2/Bridge I've experienced a whole host of issues including freezes, speed problems, and even refusal to force quit. I've finally (on Apple's advice) reinstalled the OS but am now loath to load Photoshop - has anyone else experienced these issues and has anyone tried Aperture on an Intel Mac (from reading the numerous publications about it fro Apple, it looks as though some features may be very useful)?

     

    Although I want to run Photoshop, I'm now thinking that I'd rather wait until they produce an Intel ready version rather than the current set-up running via Rosetta. Any comments?

  2. Hey pqk, I just recently purchased a new mac and went with the powerbook G4 instead of the Macbook pro for that same reason. In time, i believe all the major software companies are supposed to produce dual platform programs. As for now, there's not a whole lot out there and it's hit or miss. Aperture is supposed to be coming out in dual platform for the intel based macs very soon. It may already be out. If you go to apples site, the have some info on it.

     

    Just out of curiosity, is the macbook pro really 4 times faster as they claim?

  3. The macbook is certainly fast - but as I primarily use my computers for Photoshop I'm not noticing anything spectacular at all!

     

    I tried Adobe's Lightroom which runs quick but is only a Beta.

     

    I'll peruse Apple's site (again) about Aperture.

     

    In the meantime my old G4 (1GHz) will have to run CS2 (which it does happily, if not speedily, enough).

  4. I liked Lightroom when I tried the beta. I may have to give it a shot when it is completed.

     

    Aperture was really nice also. I haven't messed with it to much though. It definately handles RAW files faster than photoshop CS. I can't comment how it is with CS2 since I've never upgraded. The only downfall I have seen with Aperture is that it sucks up alot of RAM. You also have to have at least 1gig of ram just to install Aperture.

     

    I'm just going to stick with my powerbook G4 and 23" studio monitor for now. As workflow increases, I may get one of those G4 quad processors or something for home use and only use the power book in the field.

     

    Good luck!

  5. i am running with an intel imac - generally i have no speed issues but i would estaimte it runs 20% slower than on my powerpc mac. i have also had a stability issue with crashing when i open ps directly - for some reason when i open via bridge the crashing stops (99% anyway).

     

    the crashing started after an update about 6 weeks ago. i have just uploaded the 9.0.1 update this morning so i will see how that goes.

  6. Sounds like you've been having a fair few problems Paul. Sorry to hear about that.

     

    I realise Aperture isn't a substitute for CS2, but you might find this article interesting about speed differences for Intel macs.

     

    PDNOnline

     

    Aperture has just had a price reduction too...

  7. PS and/or Creative Suite 3 won't be out til late 06-07. So no universal binary for PS for now. However, Capture One, Dx0 and Aperture all run faster on the Macintel. For raw batch processing, you may want to consider those options.

  8. thats a very interesting article!!! when a laptop outshines a quad - thats something.

     

     

    9.0.1 just opened 5 times in a row without a crash so hopefully my probs are over.

    Edited by whitehead
  9. Hey whitehead... stop going to Pratunam to get your software... that'll stop the crashes. :blink:

  10. :blink::o:)
  11. In addtion to Aperture and the other options mentioned by Drew, you could always look at Bibble as it too is optimised for Intel.

    Edited by anthp
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.