Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Oly C-5050 questions

Started by phyco ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Oly C-5050 questions

8 posts
  1. Hi crew,

     

    Great information you're gathering for us!

     

    I am interested in buying the Oly C-5050, but I am wondering about a few questions:

    * Is it possible to use the super macro and macro function with the Epoque Wide Angle lens (DCL-20) attached to the PT-015 housing?

    * Has anybody got some experience with the Epoque ES-150 DS strobe? Can that person recommend the set-up?

    * A previous posting leaves me to conclude that the Epoque Wide Angle lens (DCL-20) is of a comparable quality than the Olympus and Inon lenses, right?

     

    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

  2. * Is it possible to use the super macro and macro function with the Epoque Wide Angle lens (DCL-20) attached to the PT-015 housing?

    Why would you want to do that?

  3. It would be easy not to unscrew the lens during a dive: diminishes the chance of losing or scratching the lens.

    I've read in previous postings that macro photography with the wide angle lens (incl. dome port) attached to the Nikon CP5000 works out fine.

  4. Interesting discussion...may I add a couple of questions:

     

    1)Is anyone using some black tape on the PT015 flash difuser with a wide lens?

    I get some shadow effect of the built-in flash at least on surface trials (I yet have to take the new gear underwater).

     

    2)Any experiences with the Custom WB underwater (which fires the flash with the C-5050z) pointing it to something that contains some white sand in some part of the picture? Can tell which WB setting that works best for you in most situations (Daylight, I suppose with some tweakning Red-Blue WB adjustment?)

     

    3)I guess that when you use a Ike slave sensor with the PT-015 housing, it makes no difference if you set Internal Flash+External, External or whatever since, per say, there is no external flash connected to the hot shoe, right?

     

    4)I find those standard Ikelite arms packages that they sell with the strobes (well the previous ones without the ball joints) a piece of cr@p, can you give me some advice/recommendation on this? (I don't do a lot of macro work)

     

    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

     

    Cheers

  5. giftie: Standard arm system is less than half the price of ball socket arms and extremely capable if you take a minute to understand it. We have seen a few that didn't hold adjustment. Please e-mail me (ike@ikelite.com) if yours does not tighten adequately.

     

    In defense of such a cheap system, I can think of three National Geographic photographers that swear by not at this arm system............

  6. mmmmmmmm!

  7. Oops , I did not want to offend anyone. I have a DS-125 and it is a fine product, no complains so far.

    Until now I've used the standard arms and although they do the job...I find they are awkward to use and...well... At the time I ordered the DS-125, Ike didn't have the ball package that they have now so I went with what was available at the time.

    I think that although such arm package might be justifiable with a DS-50 (budget wise) I don't think that is the case with the DS-125 (at least for me), but I acknowledge that for clients on a tight budget that may be an issue.

     

     

    Cheers,

     

    :)

  8. 1)Is anyone using some black tape on the PT015 flash difuser with a wide lens?

    I get some shadow effect of the built-in flash at least on surface trials (I yet have to take the new gear underwater).

     

    2)Any experiences with the Custom WB underwater (which fires the flash with the C-5050z) pointing it to something that contains some white sand in some part of the picture? Can tell which WB setting that works best for you in most situations (Daylight, I suppose with some tweakning Red-Blue WB adjustment?)

     

    3)I guess that when you use a Ike slave sensor with the PT-015 housing, it makes no difference if you set Internal Flash+External, External or whatever since, per say, there is no external flash connected to the hot shoe, right?

    Giftie

     

    1)See this link http://www.jaytreat.com/Diving/Photography/mods.htm. The housing is Ikelite but I'm sure you can do something similar with the PT015.

     

    2)UW I haven't fiddled with Custom much but I found the C5050 does a very good job in 'Auto' with my DS125.

     

    3)If I'm using DS125 in TTL mode then I use In+External.

     

    If I'm shooting in complete manual (C5050 in 'M' and DS125 in manual) then I use 'Slave' set to level 1. The C5050 recycles very quickly and combined with the fast recycle of the DS125 it rocks!

     

    The C5050 can also be set to 'Slave' in 'A' mode....

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.