Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Low End U/W Digicams & Housings

Started by bloutrel ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Low End U/W Digicams & Housings

5 posts
  1. I'm looking for advice, newbie that I am, on a basic U/W digital rig. I'm a sailor mostly and snorkel occasionally. We're planning a trip to the BVI in late Feb., and I thought an U/W rig would be fun to have.

     

    I've eying the Minolta DiMAGE X and it's Minolta Case or the Canon Powershot S230 and it's WP-DC600 Case. 3 Megapixel looks like a suitable range and I'm uprading from a 2.5 year old Olympus with 1.2 megapixels. On dry land, I'm basically a snapshot photographer.

     

    First question: is can you use these cameras in their waterproof cases out of the water (i.e. on a small sailboat, where splashing is a possiblitlty) without optical distortion? Or are the cases only designed to work under water?

     

    Second Question: Will the "point and shoot" controls of these cameras be adequate for shallow water use? At what point (depth or circumstance) does the need for full manual control come in to get acceptable pictures?

     

    TIA

     

    Bill

  2. Hi ya

    For my 2 cents worth.

    I tend to think having a small u/w case for my camera is handy above water as well, such as playing in the pool/hot tub, in the rain or dusty conditions.

    I'm sure the folks around here with multiple $1000s into their rig might disagree but for me with way less than a grand into mine, it tends to go all over the place, not just u/w.

    L8R

    Gary

  3. Hi,

     

    These cases were pretty much designed for "wet weather" use. It's what the manufacturers sell them as. I guess diving is just an extra added bonus...:-)

     

    You should be able to use one of these consumer cameras and matching case topside and get great shots. Just make sure that you don't have too much salt spray on the port glass.

     

    Either of those setups will serve you well for snorkelling or shallow water diving. Below 30' is where a strobe will really help you, but in the shallows you can still get decent color.

     

    Check the classifieds section here. I think Mark is selling his Minolta setup.

     

    HTH

    James

  4. Check the classifieds section here.  I think Mark is selling his Minolta setup.

    He certainly is.

     

    Make me an offer!

     

    Mark

  5. Thanks for the quick responses!

     

    Mark, I saw your Minolta Ad in classified. I also saw your separate post about moisture problems with with the unit.... Were they resolved?

     

    Any thoughts or recommendations (opinions are welcome!) between the Canon and Minolta setups. Alternative recommendations? Looking to spend $600-700 on camera and case. Then add memory cards, extra battery etc.

     

    Bill

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.