Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Shooting Waterpolo and Pool Swimming

Started by Deep Snapper ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Shooting Waterpolo and Pool Swimming

6 posts
  1. hi all wetpixelians,

     

    I will shortly have the opportunity to shoot some UW images of waterpolo matches and swimming events. Has anyone some experience in the subject? I understand that fast shutter speed will be required... I will be using the D70 with 12-24. What about F stops, Shutter and metering??? Also, I fear that focusing on fast moving subjects with AF might cause some issues. Any suggestions?

     

    Thanks

     

    Antonio

  2. Waterpolo is pretty violent and I think that it would be hard to get decent UW images of a real match. I think that the best images would come from getting the players to pose after the match.

     

    During the match I would suggest shooting topsides. With flash to freeze the action.

     

    Alex

  3. sure its violent and normally all the violent (interesting) fouls happen below the surface and below the belt!

     

    Since ill be shooting upwards, what metering would be best? spot?

     

    A

  4. In have some experience in that game as player (when I was young and beautiful :P ) it’s very fast and violent so you'll have a real problem to take good images. If you can try to locate yourself outside the court if it’s possible close to the gate. Do some pre tests for the right F stop for that situation.

    I think that that lens may be a little too wide since it's will be a problem to get really close to the players without getting into the violent area.

    If it's a deep pool maybe you can locate yourself under the players so you can get closer view.

  5. I'd love to see the outcome of the polo shoot. Having played myself I can't imagine bringing my dome close to any of the hard core action. A super wide shot from directly below the action at one end of the pool might be interesting but exposures are going to be tricky, especially if it's an indoor pool. As Alex mentioned, it would be much more productive to set up poses with players shooting, etc. before a game or during practice. Some interesting over/unders could be produced that way. Anyway, post your shots 'cause I'm interested in the outcome!

     

    -Ethan

  6. I have photographed swimmers many times. I've used lens from 10,5 mm to a 16 mm fisheye (equivalent to a 20 mm in analog terms). Usually I use one Subtronic Alpha Pro to light the swimmers. Everything is in manual mode. Spot metering in the blue water surface. Manual focus if you are real close to the swimers, otherwise muiti area AF may work prety well.

     

    The most dificult part is to get a real powerfull composition.

     

    All the best

    Rui Guerra

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.