Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

flying fish?

Started by cor ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

flying fish?

9 posts
  1. Hi all, in Kimbe/PNG while doing a safety stop on a night dive we spotted this weird fish. It behaved like a butterfly underwater. Very erratic random movements, right at the surface. We were able to catch it in a bucket for some closeups. Ofcourse we released it.

     

    Is this a flying fish? We have a limited amount of images of flying fish, and I cant find a match in those.

     

    Cor

     

    flying1.jpg

     

    flying2.jpg

     

    flying3.jpg

  2. Yep. A juvenile. Tend to see them near rafts of drifting weed etc.

     

    Alex

  3. In the images I can find of flying fish I dont see one with those frilly bits at its mouth. Is that something that disappears as it grows into an adult?

     

    Cor

  4. Yep, I agree. I see a lot of the different stages in the Gulf floating in the sargassum rafts. The juveniles look almost like grasshoppers!

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Anyone know someone I can ask for the exact species?

     

    Cor

  6. OUr fish expert Luiz Rocha. Where is that boy? I'm surprised he hasn't already responded! :unsure:

  7. I was travelling, but I am back now :unsure: . I will be in my office later today and I will check with my books there.

  8. I was travelling too :D Any luck Rocha?

     

    Cor

  9. These are great shots, but we have nothing in the databases (as yet) that resembles this one. Apparently this group of animals is difficult to photograph and even more difficult to identify. Kuiter & Debelius also make no attempt of determination. They write on page 102: "Flyingfish are difficult to identify without having examined a specimen". A sentence we hear too much these days...

    Now, among the photos viewed: none have this delicious moustache. And instead of a yellow band in the centre of the big fins most species are transluscent exactly on this spot.

     

    Guido

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.