Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Quad Ring Install ?

Started by PRC ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Quad Ring Install ?

3 posts
  1. I have a video housing passed on to me for repair. As part of its overhaul I am replacing all of the shaft seals in the unit ( it had hung around unused and was leaking due to corrosion then destruction of the seal ).

     

    The seals are Quad Rings ( BS010 1/4" ID * 1.78 ).

     

    My current problem involves getting the new quad rings into the groove in the seal body prior to shaft installation. The ring groove is some 1/8" ( 3.2mm ) down inside of the shaft outer and fiddle as I may I am having a hell of a job getting the ring in place. Quad rings by nature do not want to roll at all.

     

    So if anyone has 'been there, done that" I am not too proud to take advise. If I need to make an insertion tool of some type that is no problem, I have a machine shop.

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  2. Paul,

     

    "Old" style controls like that require you to get the new quad-x oring totally seated before sliding the control shaft through. Newer style controls have a threaded "cap" that just spins off and the x-ring "sits" in the pocket. Spin hte top nut back on and you're good to go....

     

    When I replaced x-rings on old style controls I greased the living daylights out of the new x-ring, and then used a plastic drink stick to gradually ease it in. Get one side started and then work the rest around until it pops in the groove.

     

    Sometimes I used one stirrer at one end while preventing the whole mess from sliding down the barrel with another form the opposite end. You must do this where you have good light, maybe securing the control in a vice off the housing.....

     

    As you said, it's a pain in the butt :unsure:

     

    Good luck!

     

    dhaas

  3. Thanks for that - pretty much what I ended up doing, never going to be able to charge the customer the time it took to install those rings !

     

    Must also make sure he dives it empty for a good trial run.

     

    Thanks again,

     

    Paul C

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.