As one of very few uw photographers in St. Croix, I rarely have had the opportunity to shoot photos of other photographers. A buddy of mine just got a housing for his F3, however, and we've been diving together. I've been getting him to model with his strobes slaved, but the resulting images consistently blow out my photos, even when he sets them on the lowest settings and I shoot at my highest f-stop. I've shot from as far away as 10 ft with the same problem. Perhaps this will become our new standard for comparing dynamic range in digital cameras. The effect is much more dramatic than shooting into the sunburst, and such images are quite traditional. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Shooting models with slaved strobes
Started by Kasey ·
- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
Shooting models with slaved strobes
-
-
What strobes does he have? You should get him a YS90DX, which can be set to 7 stops below full power.
-
He has a YS120 and a SB 105. The 120 only sets to 1/2 the 105 to 1/16. I can't tell the difference between them in the photos. Would this be an issue shooting film?
-
The YS120 and SB105 are significantly higher power than the YS90DX.
With film or a DSLR like a D60, you can use a smaller aperture than your E20. Also the dynamic range would be better. This is the same issue that we spent so much time talking about at the other board. Shooting directly into a bright strobe causes the same problems as shooting into a bright sun for the smaller CCD sensors.