Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Philippines grouper

Started by FlyingKiwi ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Philippines grouper

6 posts
  1. I searched the web under "coral trout" and "grouper", but couldn't find any photos matching this fish, which I photographed a couple of months ago at Anilao. Closest I could find was Cephalopholis miniata, but it seems somewhat different.

     

    Any ideas?

    post-6413-1150262231_thumb.jpg

  2. Yep you are right, that is the miniata... nice shot!

  3. Thanks for the ID and the kind words, Mike. It's not much of a photo, but it sure is a nice looking fish!

     

    Richard.

  4. Yes, very beautiful fish. Here in the Philippines it's called the "Lapu lapu" and considered among, if not the most, delicious one - sweet and sour. A national pride.

  5. Guido,

     

    This one seemed to be more vividly colored than many other photos I've seen, is that typical for this species in the Philippines?

     

    Richard.

  6. Richard,

     

    I looked up the miniata in the literature we have and the Poppe-images. The species starts young as a dull orange, then becomes bright red with the spots (your photo) and when big it loses the red a lot, its general appearance rather black-brown with spots.

    Your shot is fine as the miniata in this stage likes crevices and it is difficult to photograph the whole body. In the Philippines it is even more difficult than elsewhere I presume, because most want this magnificent species in the dish, so they are shy except in well protected sanctuaries. I've seen adults there (Hilutungan) from well over 60 cm in only 3 m of water.

     

    Guido

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.