Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Web printing services

Started by Nemo ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Web printing services

11 posts
  1. I just sent a few images to Ofoto to see how their printing would be. The quality of the print itself was very good but they didnt get the exposure right on one image (land shot) and the color cast of a U/W pic was off.

     

    Anyone have a good experience with any other printing services? If yes what are they?

     

    Nemo

  2. Try pictopia.com -- they ROCK. I just printed a bunch of 13x19" prints from D30 and D60, and they were fantastic.

     

    Fleetham and Watt both use it --at my recommendation -- as well. In fact, Jim called me the other day just to thank me for pointing him to Pictopia. He printed a 40"x60" lion print from digital source. It was shipped out the same day, and he said it looked amazing.

     

    $10/square foot.

  3. I have used Shutterfly and have been very happy with them. I have only done 4x6 adn 5x7 prints so far. Their 5x7 prints are only .99. Their web interface and upload process are good. I have had slight color shifts on a few of my underwater prints, but nothing terrible.

     

    I do recommend cropping your images before uploading. Crop them to a 4x6 aspect ratio using PS or whatever software you have.

  4. I just did a test run with Pictopia and am very pleased. Good tip.

  5. Craig,

     

    How big did you go? What kind of file size?

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. I did 16x20, 11x14 and 8x10 using the D100 8-bit TIFF's as a source. All in matte.

    I did not scale any of the files so each was about 17MB. Took a while to upload.

    Cost about $10 per square foot plus $20 shipping.

  7. Their turnaround time is amazing. It normally runs about half a day.

  8. For casual snapshots I take my CF card into Costco and download them to their photo center. One day turn around at .19 cents a 4x6. For the good stuff I bug my friend that works for Fuji to make me prints off their high end digital printers.

  9. So at $10/SF, I come up with $22.22 for a 16x20. If this is correct, I'm all over it if the quality is there. I paid $60 here in Austin at a respected commercial imaging shop.

  10. I liked my 16x20 sample. I'd show it to you but it's already in its new home. You can see it at Scubaland Adventures when you're in town.

  11. I was over at Pictopia yesterday and chatted with Mark -- he's excited about all the UW stuff coming in. too bad wetpixel doesn't get a cut. :)

     

    There's a significant discount after you buy one of any sized image. For example, I print a lot at 19x12.67". The first one costs $17, and each one thereafter costs $11 -- even if it's a different image! Amazing, really.

     

    But be sure that a second one isn't 19x12.66", as they will charge $17 for it if it is .01" off.

     

    Be sure to proof with their color profiles. You don't actually have to do the conversion, though -- it will do it for you when the image is rastered.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.