The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic
Pro-Whaling Nations Win Majority at IWC
Started by segal3 ·
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
Pro-Whaling Nations Win Majority at IWC
-
-
I'm disgusted by this news.
Saw it on TV .. I mean it doesn't change much but it means Japan can continue to Kill Whales fort Science (or do I mean feeding whale to school children to get them addcited)
"Well Whales are like turtles and all dem pretty animals in my opinion" was the representative from the US's only words on the BBC.
Maybe us western world countries should send people that know what they are talking about and who give a shit.
I mean we can't even do anything about Japan buyingn countries to vote for them ?
-
Just read the link..
Absolutely gutted... What and who do the Japanese think they are.
Nearly saying stuff I should'nt, but it makes you mad, sad and feel very bad.
Seriously it stinks. Thanks Matt for the info.
Anything we at wetpix can do I'm in..
Dive safe
Dean(with a tear)B
-
There is a lot we can do at WetPixel. The fate of the whales actually lies in the hands of a bunch of carribean nations that have been bought off by Japan. We at wetpixel can orchestrate a large scale public boycott of these islands by the diving world until they get their heads straight. I don't know how Eric feels about using wetpixel for environmental action.
Go to this link at SeaShephard for the vote tally over the last five votes:
Here are a few of the Caribbean nations voting in favor or killing whales:
-Antigua & Barbuda
-Dominica
-St. Kitts and Nevis
-St. Lucia
-St. Vincent & the Grenadines
Spread the word...don't step foot in these hypocrytical nations that take tourist dollars for eco travel then spend it on hunting whales.
Also, note will take a 3/4 majority to actually "legalize" whale hunting again. Japan just need the majority to lend support to it's illegal practices.
And Mike in Yap, tell you sister country Palau to stop voting in favor of whaling!
Shawn
-
It should be compulsory to try and do something.... We all love the ocean and many members here make a "good living" or are "living good" out and in the ocean.
I personally stayed at home while the girlfriend visited family in Iceland because of their whaling practices...
I will offer my signature and support in anyway i possibly can to see the end of barbaric practices and so should we all.
Perhaps Mark (camdiver) thorpe could lead the attack as he is a resident of Palau. Obviously not putting himself in any big trouble but just let them know our feelings as divers and caring humans.
My two pence.
Dive safe
DeanB
-
People are incredibly influenced by the media.
Has anybody tried to contact influential members of the media? If there is an episode on Nightline, or Oprah telling the crude practices, it can certainly influence people.
A recent example is George W signing and setting aside the Northern Hawaiian Islands as Marine Conservation. I read somewhere that he was influenced by Jean Michel Cousteu recent tv special on this area.
We need to think more global (beyond the limited arena of wetpixelers) and get the word out!
As an aside, I've gone beyond my Asian culture and heritage and I refuse to eat shark fin. I try to educate the people around me, but until they see pixs of sharks thrown away and left to suffocate without their fins, the message doesn't quite sink in. We as a culture have it too easy by going to the local grocery, and we don't know how or what methods are taken to get that food to the grocery.
-
Power balance is shifting alright, but probably becaused of greasing of palms more than "it's now okay to kill whales." We'll be here in 10 years debating why the whale population has dwindled and we can then reference this thread.
-
Its all about a handfull of greedy, fat, silly old men. Lets hope they all die soon from to much food and wine from stuffing themselves from all the profits they make in killing Whales. mmm I might get in trouble for stating that. <_<

Yes one does not have to be a rocket scientist to see the Japs are doing dodgey deals with these small nations.
A massive boycott of tourists to these places would make them change their minds.
How much money does the world make in killing Whales... How much does it make in Whale Watching...a stack more thats for sure in just watching them.
Yes I think we should put in a big effort via this site and others in posting what countries are for it.
I think this one is a beauty....O the reason why our fishermen cannot catch fish anymore is because the Whales ate them all...
classic... -
you know...
the funny thing is that this is the 20th anniversary of Star Trek IV.
they touched upon this same subject back then, and where are we now.

-
Well apparently its not just the whales eating all the fish its the seals as well,
Those furry little bastards..I saw one in the supermarket the other day, bloody trolley was at bursting point with all the fish.
Sorry but I'm just crazy with emotions..

Lets do something now.
Dive safe
DeanB