Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Quicktime codec for HDV & DVD burning?

Started by globaldiver ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Quicktime codec for HDV & DVD burning?

3 posts
  1. I have edited a HDV project and try to burn it to a DVD in iDVD. What codec should I use as I export the video to Quicktime so I can retain as much of the quality as possible from the HD format to DV?

     

    If I use the HD codec iDVD crops the video to 4:3 since it seems to not register the format...

     

    Any good suggestions?

     

    Sincerely

     

    Anders

  2. Hopefully you're using a recent version of iDVD. If so, when you create a new project, set the aspect ratio to widescreen 16:9 (File>New).

     

    Then don't encode your HDV movie at all before bringing it into iDVD--iDVD will do the encoding for you. There are good instructions in the iDVD Help Menu (Help>iDVD Help).

     

    If you're working with an older version of iDVD, upgrade (it's cheap). I think you'll need at least iLife05, but iLife06 is preferable, to work with HDV. Hope this helps.

  3. Thanks, it works now...

     

    I did not realize that iDVD encoded the material itself. Thought I had to do it before I exported it to the program. Live and learn... :D

     

    I use the most recent version of Final Cut Express and iDVD, and a 17" Mac Book Pro. With 2 Gig of RAM it works really well for editing HDV. I can however see that I in a near future may consider FC Studio Pro.

     

    Thanks for your replies.

     

    Sincerely

     

    Anders

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.