Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Canon Powershot S80 vs A540

Started by Irie Diver ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon Powershot S80 vs A540

2 posts
  1. Hi

     

    I'm an experienced diver and am about to take up underwater photography (this is my first post on the forum).

     

    I'm going to buy a new camera and am currently deciding between the Canon Powershot S80 and A540.

     

    The specifications of these seem pretty similar but the S80 is much more expensive. My gut reaction is that the S80 must be a better camera as it is so much more expensive, however, I would like to seek out a more tangible reason before spending extra money just for the sake of it.

     

    Can you please give me some advice on whether the S80 is actually a better camera and, if so, why I should choose it above the A540.

     

    Both cameras appear to have the same specific underwater features (an underwater white-balance mode and casing is available). The S80 has some features which are missing in the A540, however, the A540 has other features which the S80 is lacking (i've summarised the main ones below).

     

    The S80 is 8mp compared to 6mp for the A540 (however, the A540 has a 4* zoom compared to 3.6* for the S80).

     

    Regarding video, the S80 can shoot high-res video (1024 * 768) at 15 fps, the A540 can't shoot at this high-res. However, the A540 can shoot low-res (320 * 240) at 60 fps, the S80 can not shoot this fast.

     

    The range of the S80 is 28mm-100mm compared to 35mm-140mm for the A540.

     

    Thanks

     

    ID

  2. I'd go with the S80.

    S80 has a wider lens 28mm I believe and from what i've seen that in addition to a INON wide angle lens for example can produce spectacular results..

     

    They're a whole host of reasons why I prefer the S80 to the A540, I get the feeling that the A540 is a dumbed down version of the A620 a little.

     

    6x zoom underwater is largerly meaningless and you want to get as close as possible to your subject thereby cutting down the amoutn of water between you and it.

     

    DPreview has a nice side by side comparison tool of cameras here...

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

     

    And finally i'd check out the links below which show what a S80 can do in the right hands...

     

    http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=146272

    http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=136692

    http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=134521

    http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126905

    http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106615

    http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96028

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.