I've been doing quite a bit of reading as I am pretty new to the Digital SLR realm. I actually have two questions.
Is it really necessary to set your white balance on your camera at depth or should I leave it on auto?
Also as far as auto focus techniques, does anyone have any suggestions on focusing when the auto focus cannot capture the image? I know you can set it to manual focus but I can imagine that it could take a bit of time especially if you want to take a picture of something that is swimming by pretty fast.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
If you're shooting RAW files, it doesn't matter much, but generally speaking, Auto WB works well when you use strobes, while manual WB produces better results straight out of the camera if you're shooting ambient light.
It's hard to answer your second question, as the reasons for autofocus failure are not described in your post (e.g. shooting in turbid water?).
Thanks for the input Matt.
I'd been having trouble focusing on subjects because of the auto focus. It turns out that the limited amount of available light made it really difficult for the macro lens to focus on a particular subject. At first I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't just take a picture (focused or not) but apparently the camera will not take a picture if it's not in focus. A "focus light" really helped out alot....Imagine that!
No worries.
Regarding your issue with the shutter being locked if focus is not achieved, it's possible to overcome this by changing the AF mode. On Nikon camera, you simply use AF-C. On Canon models, it could be AI Servo AF, but I'm not sure. Canon users could confirm this for you. It's a useful mode, which I personally use, but can be a bit tricky. Experimentation's the key!