- 9Posts
- 9Replies
Read-only discussion
Identifiable Whale Shark
-
-
Wow - thats a really cool pattern. I have not seen anything like that...where did you see her and how big was she?
-
She was around 30 feet off the Kona Coast.
-
Bryce -
greetings buddy - that unique mark on her head is a healed-over scar and looks to be quite old. I know that Shark Research Institute has a photo-id database maybe you can try them...
<a href="http://www.sharks.org/"> SRI Website</a>
good luck...
- MDP
ps. I just photodocumented PIT this year - check it out...
<a href="http://www6.miami.edu/sharklab/pit_06_intro.html">BBFS PIT 2006 Website</a>
-
Sorry - I tried html coding in the fast reply but have to do it this way...here are the links
check them out...
cheers!
- MDP
-
HI Guys
There is also Ecocean you can go and submit your pic and it will search for a match but you need pics of the left or right side.
-
Right on Matt. DejaVu!
Wagsy - supposed to be sending all my data to Ecocean but haven't gotten around to it. I've been collecting sightings off the Kona Coast from all the dive/boating companies - but haven't gotten around to getting it to the Ecocean guys. They want me to put in all the data into their site manually for each sighting (as opposed to me sending them all my data I have via my website reports) - just haven't had time....
But, this shark was so unique looking - I thought I'd throw it up here and see if there were any sightings......
-
Would be funy if we matched one up that we spoted here.
I was lucky then, I gave them 3 years of DVD's and they did it themselves.
Cannot say I have seem that one here.
-
The whale sharks I will be tagging off of Tanzania have a high probability of being seen off of Ningaloo. I would think any whale sharks off of Kona would be a longshot for Ningaloo - though maybe the eastern pacific - cocas/galapagos might be in their home range. Let me know if you are able to gleam anything from Ecoocean - I am professionally and personally interested. As a side note - we too use side view shots for the actual spot analysis - usually a head shot from gills forward on left or right side (usually left if we can get it).
cheers!
- MDP