Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Flabellina Identification

Started by Lndr ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Flabellina Identification

10 posts
  1. This one I have no idea :lol:

     

    Found at Hanging Rock, Jervis Bay (Australia) in 30m on a feather hydroid. Quite small, maybe 15mm but I think closer to 10 - It made the sea spiders look HUGE !

     

    cheers

    Leander

    post-1321-1151300181_thumb.jpg

    post-1321-1151300285_thumb.jpg

  2. another shot ...

    post-1321-1151300382_thumb.jpg

  3. i thought it was pretty speco :lol:

     

    not sure on the Flabellina funeka ... are the cerata bunched enough? are the number of cerata important? No white tip on the oral tentacles ...

  4. Close but no cigar, eh? Re-reading the page on SSF I see the rhinophores have lamellae (skin flaps) while your beastie has papillae - another difference. I'll send it off to Terry for his opinion. Maybe Marli will ride to our rescue in the meantime. :lol:

  5. Here's a reply from Terry Gosliner (who described F. funeka & many many other species):

     

    "This animal is closest to Flabellina albomarginata Miller, 1971

    http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=flabalbo

     

    It is different in its body color, the pink-purple versus white and the

    absence opaque white on the oral tentacles and rhinophores. The most

    important similarity is the presence of papillae on the posterior side of the

    rhinophores. I have some specimens from South Africa of a similar, but

    apparently distinct species. It would be great to get some specimens of this animal as I am fairly certain it is undescribed."

  6. cool B)

     

    So are lamellae the things that look like a stack of flat plates, and papillae are bud-like? ... or am I way off the mark?

     

    cheers

    Leander

  7. ABsolutely right. Lamellae are defined as platelike structures even tho' they're usually soft. Papillae vary from round to cone-shaped to elongate protruberances.

  8. Wow, that's a beauty, great photo too!

  9. It looks very similar to Flabellina poenicia, found from SA around to NSW. There are some details on the species here:

     

    http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/..._poenicia).html

     

    I've seen this species a couple of times in Port Stephens, Sydney and Jervis Bay but because its so small it can be difficult to photograph. You have some great pics of it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.