Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Silica Gel Packets

Started by redsvt ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Silica Gel Packets

3 posts
  1. Took my UW housing in the pool yesterday to get used to the controls for the camera. Anyway I was using a Sea & Sea silica gel tube, it changed from blue to purple pretty quickly. I have done some research and found that prepacked gel in tinky packets can be expensive, like sea and sea $7 for 12 sticks. Not very economical. Any I found a site that sell food grade packets of silicia gel, 1/2" x 1.5". and are only $20USD for 150 pieces. They also sell in 1lb and 5lb containers color reactive gel blue to purple. I am curious how to package this stuff as it is reusable. The other stuff (prepackedaged) is not reusable, I dont think. Anyway great forum, and only else faced with dilema?

  2. One solution is to stuff tea bags with the silica gel. They are porous, so the gel can absorb moisture through them. Use masking tape or something similar to close the sachets. These stick enough to keep them closed, but don't stick so much as to damage the sachets when you open them.

     

    One important thing to check with silica gel bought in bulk is the diameter of the balls, as they can be fairly large (say 5mm or so) compared to the ones normally used in housings. If they're too large, you may not be able to squeeze them in between your camera and housing.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.