Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Travelling with U/W gear?

Started by JedBoy ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Travelling with U/W gear?

19 posts
  1. Hello all,

    I am new to the U/W phtography world. I made one dive/photo trip to the red sea this past summer and had a real blast!! I need some help though...I really don't know how to travel with my gear. Do you all carry your camera strobe, etc on to the plane as carry on or check it in? If you carry it on what type of case do you use? And if yo check it what kind of case?

    Also, when you get on the dive boat how do you safely carry it on?

    I know these are silly questions but I have never really seen anyone carry this stuff around and you all know how delicate it is...

     

    I've been looking at Pelican cases but can't seem to figure out what size I need for my setup...

     

    thanks for any thoughts...

    Jed

     

    CP995

    Ikelite housing

    Ds125

    Sea & Sea wide angle adapter

  2. We had a similar debate a few weeks ago in the Gallery about Hard or Soft.

    Carry-on & back-pack is probably the best option. Lowpro do several sizes.

    sevenday.com do a great one at a good price too.

  3. Has anyone carried on their strobe arms? Or do they consider those leathal weapons now. I know some fish probably think they are.

     

    I carried them on last trip with no problems but I have heard rumblings of changes.

  4. Carefully.

     

    Carried one DS 125 strobe, metal baesplate and one arm system to Cocos in my carryon last July.

  5. Hi!

     

    I took my equipment to the Philippines. I stuffed the housing between my BC and the wetsuit. It survived ;-) I took out the bulbs from the video lights and stuffed them at the bottom of the case.

     

    Recently, I bought a nice soft bag that fits the carry-on size regulations. It might get a bit heavier though. Practicing to smile when carrying helps. It holds the housing, battery tanks, lights and ports.

    For the camera and the lenses I've got a "fisherman's jacket" (bags all over the place). This gives me the extra 4-5 kg I need 'cause all you have mounted to your body doesn't count as extra weight ;-)

    I made my way to the Sudan without any troubles and losses.

    First they were a bit suspicious but when I told them that it's an uw-camera they gave up ;-) I haven't got a flash arm (just a flexible chain of plastic tubes for the lights) so I don't know if it's recognized as a lethal weapon. It will survive the transport checked-in anyway.

     

    What I realized was an interesting fact: a lethal weapon is a piece that is somewhat larger in size, maybe pointy, or - simply - strange looking. I had to check-in my screwdriver bits (less than 20mm/1") but next to me a woman was allowed to carry her extensible skiing rods (which serve as a nice pointy weapon ;-) but are well known and widely regarded as harmless.

     

    My advice: try to separate the sensitive parts and put them in the carry-on luggage. If it hasn't got a very pointy or cutting edge you should be able to argue. Plan some extra time (approx. 30-45 minites) to be on the safe side.

     

    If it doesn' t help, there's always a nice bottle from the duty free sale you may break and use as a handy weapon ...

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  6. After travelling to Cozumel this past week, I'd recommend checking as much as you can. The new US security requirements aren't *that* much worse, but it takes longer to get through than it has in the past, and they're restricting more things to checked luggage, although somewhat arbitrarily.

     

    I spent 25 minutes checking in at Cozumel to come home as they dissected every bag I had. Made me check my strobe arms (no big deal), and remove batteries from my lights. Also could carry on the cord for my battery charger for my D60, although they let me carry on an ethernet cable.

  7. We had a similar debate a few weeks ago in the Gallery about Hard or Soft.

    Carry-on & back-pack is probably the best option. Lowpro do several sizes.

    sevenday.com do a great one at a good price too.

    Lowepro do a good size backpack called a "mini trekker" that takes my pt015, camera, ike strobe, chargers, batteries, arms etc.. and a smallish laptop squeezes into the top compartment.. it's small enough not to attract attention at check-in.. lowepro IMHO do the best soft luggage and are very well constructed

  8. Hi Steve

    Could you get a Nikonos V, SB-105 strobe in as well, minus the laptop? I'm looking for a new home for my new C5050 and PT-015 that will pass for a "briefcase" with the airlines. Thanks TedJ

  9. I am able to get housing (DX-D100), camera, Ike 200 strobe, arms, cables, Sea & Sea Custom Flat Port and 4 lenses in a pelican style carry-on. I carry charger and odds and ends along with laptop in a separate bag. That way, I have control over most of the expensive gear and also have a complete setup to use if checked baggage gets "misplaced."

     

    I check the rest of my dive gear along with second strobe and dome port.

     

    I used to check everything, but with new inspection policies, feel less comfortable with that.

     

    Regards,

     

    Don Dixon

    http://www.dixonphotos.net

  10. I really like the Porter cases. I use the larger size and it still carries on easily. Porter cases have the advantage of converting into wheeled dollies that can carry a lot of weight and their design allows them to be quite roomy.

     

    My approach is to put equipment in the Porter case and things like toiletries and spare clothes in the backpack. With the Porter case I can use checked bags without wheels. The amount of weight that saves is suprising.

  11. Hi Don,

     

    How the (*)&^&^%& do you get all that in a carry-on sized Pelican case???? Which case is it? (I'm jealous)

     

    Can you take a photo of the open case showing the packed gear for my benefit? I am tired of checking my housing - it hasn't been lost yet, but the day will come.

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. I can get my Sea and Sea DX3060 housing, NX Zoom port, all my ULCS parts, DS-50 strobe, Mini-C spotting light, 2 lenses, Elan 7 body, and battery grip for my D60 into the Pelican soft case for the 1520 carry-on sized case.

  13. Ok,

    Iam looking at the Lowepro trekker AW. It looks like it will hold my Ikelite housing for my CP 995. This housing is HUGE! I like the idea of the smaller Lowepro bag but I cant imaging it will hold this housing. Does anyone have this housing (or bigger) and either of these bags.

    I also have to fit my camera, DS125, lenses, chargers ,etc and some smaller items.

     

    Thanks again all!

     

    Jed

  14. Hi Don,

     

    How the (*)&^&^%& do you get all that in a carry-on sized Pelican case????  Which case is it?  (I'm jealous)

     

    Can you take a photo of the open case showing the packed gear for my benefit?  I am tired of checking my housing - it hasn't been lost yet, but the day will come.

     

    Cheers

    James

    James -

     

    It was like a 3-dimensional puzzle. Camera is in the housing, macro lens is in the macro port. I will take a couple pics and post them later today. The case can be found at http://www.justcases.com/airlinecase.html.

     

    Regards,

     

    Don Dixon

    http://www.dixonphotos.net

  15. Everyting that fits in the carryon

     

    everything.jpg

  16. Bottom view of carryon

     

    bottomview.jpg

  17. Top view of carryon - synch cord, extra O-rings, lube, misc. items omitted but are tucked in before closing.

     

    topview.jpg

  18. Wow! Thanks Don.

     

    I can say right now, that "ain't gonna happen" with my S2/Ikelite setup.

     

    Cheers

    James

  19. I use a Pelican 1610 on wheels and insure the peewaddle out it. I carry on my S2 in a Lowepro holster type case and my laptop case with all my credentials and itineraries. I have vowed to travel a day early to allow luggage problems to work themselves out. I still sweat it until I see that Pelican come off the conveyor.

     

    Ikelite%20S2.JPG

     

    Components.JPG

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.