Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Up and Close with a Floppy Manta Ray

Started by wagsy ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Up and Close with a Floppy Manta Ray

15 posts
  1. Check this out.

     

    Kelly and Me on a dive the other day, friendly Manta that's for sure.

     

    MANTA CLIP 5.5 megs wmv

  2. Lovely.

     

    Were you wearing your manta suit to get that one? How long did you hold your breath?

     

    Music is extremely quiet by the way.

  3. do you really expect me to download an hour and 15 mins worth of download to see a manta?

     

    Next time just say... Kelly on a dive the other day...

     

    Then i might

     

    Hhahahahahahahahahhahaha

  4. Just for you Mr dialup...

    550kb in size.

     

    Mikes Special Mini Clip by the way it took me 10 seconds to download.... :blink:

     

    Hey you know divers never hold their breaths when on SCUBA...

    Nick tune the sound up.

     

    Here is a 1280/720 81 meg wmv version..how many days would that take ya Mike....whats that ...did you say weeks :lol::D

  5. 81 meg!?!?!?!?!??!

     

    Damn... i could shut down the entire FSM with that!

     

    I will try the small one.. :lol:

  6. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................

     

     

    i got 23 seconds of it.... damn internet kicked out.... took 5 mins to get that!

     

    quality looked like quick time! hahaha

  7. Mike,

     

    I stopped by the Manta Bay booth last weekend at SCUBA show 2006 in Long Beach and spoke with your counterparts...yes, I don't recall their names. They said that if it weren't for your practical joking and smart alec personality they'd have dumped you a long time ago :D Just kidding but they did say that they really enjoy your humor, aside from your photographic prowess :lol:

     

    Guess I'll have to get there sometime.

     

    Joe

  8. enjoyed your video!

  9. Wags,

    Just saw this for the first time...well done! Did you have the exposure (iris/shutter) on manual or auto? I notice the bottom of the manta stays nice and bright consistentely through the video.

    shawn

  10. What a beautiful specimen. Great video.

  11. Go Mike... don't go over you monthly bandwidth there :D

    Shawn, did ya have a nice sleep, and did you get that zip file?

     

    Yes the Manta was on a cleanig station. I was up in the plane filming about 10 days ago and I spotted 100's of Manta's on the back of the reef comming up so they sould be all here very soon. A few years ago we had over 200 in one small area of the back of reef feeding.

     

    Here is my secret specs for that shot.

    Depth 16 meters.

    MWB using the sun with filter in.

    Shutter locked at 50. (Pal)

    Focus set at full wide.

    db set to zero.

    Anti wobby thingy set to soft.

    Breathing stopped as manta went over.

    Auto exposure on, if you get into the camera's menu you can set the auto exposure reaction time, then when a shot like that comes along the camera does a smooth transition as the iris opens or closes slowly and smoothly.

     

    Weather here has turned to (^%$$*( B) <_< :lol:

  12. hurray!! i got the small one to download finally...

     

    Nice manta.. BLUE water...!!!

  13. Wags,

    Got zip and uploaded all files....didn't get much sleep.

     

    Are you serious that you have over 100 mantas coming along in plain view...outstanding!

     

    I guessed most of the cam settings except the soft auto exposure. Do you this often or just in controlled circumstances?

     

    Bummer on the weather.

     

    Shawn

  14. Yep, we were out on the back of the reef in our RIB (5.6 m Avon 115hp) and we drove along a 1-2km section and lost count after 200....

    They get right in on the back and feed.....

     

    I'll delete the zip of the server now then.

     

    I leave the iris setting on auto soft all the time but will go to manual as well for certain shots.

     

    Yes last week we had pristine conditions now the swells have come in and messed it all up. Whale Sharks seems to have died out as well. In fact two days ago one of the big boats was on the back of the reef looking at mantas and got hit by a swell. Threw a heap of people into the water off the bow and some got broken bones and had to be flown to down to Perth. Not to good and I recond the skipper will get his arse kicked big time. It was a owner operator at the helm so he cannot blame anyone.

  15. Pretty nice shots, wagsy. I like very much your videos. Can I shared with some friends ?..of course with your page reference including...thank you...

    I remember when I was in Yap. I didn´t have good visibility the four days, but the feeling with the rays I will never forget it....Greatings from Gran Canaria...

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.