Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikkor 12-24DX Lens

Started by james ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikkor 12-24DX Lens

11 posts
  1. I just read this by Thom Hogan (www.bythom.com):

     

    12mm on 1.5x sensor: f/8 at 5 feet = 2.13' to infinity focus

    18mm on 35mm sensor: f/8 at 5 feet = 2.59' to 71.3' focus

     

    Yet the angles of view are equivalent.

     

    Note that he's talking about focusing at 5 feet, NOT the minimum focusing distance.

     

    So you DO get more DOF using the smaller sensor and wider lens.

     

    FWIW, Thom usually gets pre-release samples from Nikon and Fuji to evaluate for those companies before the products are released - so I bet he has this DX lens. He was the first one to point out that TTL works on the Fuji and not on the Nikon.

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. I read where the minimal focus dx of the 12 - 24 will be 8". That will make it a must have lens for UW. Doubt you will need to use a dioptor. I don't with my 17 - 35 which has a similar close focus.

     

    When do you get to shoot F8 UW? Of course with adjustable ISO that may be possible.

  3. Dave,

     

    The problem is that you dive in California...:(

     

    In clear water less than about 40' deep, you should be able to shoot at f8 some of the time.

     

    Especially since your camera only goes down to ISO200...:)

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. True, but we dive year round.

     

    I also like diving at Cocos. But F8 is tough there due to the depth of the dives.

  5. The D1x has a larger sensor than the d100. Will Nikon be introducing yet another set of lenses for the D1x, or will the successor to the D1x conform to the existing lines of lenses (35mm or D100 size)? It seems that now that Nikon has commited to a given chip size that all of its dslrs will use it.

  6. I thought the D1x and the D100 were both the 1.5x crop sensors.

     

    I was talking to a local dealer this week about availability of the DX lens. He called his Nikon rep and was told that the lens will probably not be on the market until Fall '03. This contradicts what we all thought of Spring '03.

  7. D1x and D100 have the same sensor size. A 1.5x crop, as does the S2. The sensor on the D100 has more pixels than the D1x. Nikon says they are introducing the DX lenses for all their cameras that use sensors with a 1.5x crop factor. This implies that they will continue to intro cameras with a 1.5x sensor crop. It doesn't say that they might not intro cameras with a larger sensor as well.

  8. Does anybody have any new info on this lens. My last bit of information was very disapointing. The Nikon rep for this area told his retailer that he doubted it would be available before next Fall. I hope this is only one mans opinion.

  9. A million rumors. No facts.

  10. Maybe Ike can answer this question. Do the housing mfrs. get the specs on new lenses before they are available? I am hoping to acquire the correct port for this lens so that I have it when the lens gets here.

  11. Nikon tell the housing manufacturers anything? Not a chance. I hear they can be quite "stand-offish" when approached with questions...

     

    Cheers

    James

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.