Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Getting to know your new strobe

Started by Nay ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Getting to know your new strobe

4 posts
  1. I have a new strobe!!! Yay!

     

    I've had my camera for about a year and a half a just got my strobe this week. Yay! I go on vacation in about 5 weeks and would like tips and excersices that may have helped you get better at using your strobe.

     

    Here's the kicker. I broke my foot three weeks ago so it's fairly unlikely that I'll be able to get in the water before my trip. I plan to spend some time in a dark-ish room trying to get the feel of the strobe and hope to maybe make it into the pool to play as well. It's not ideal but that's what I get for being less than graceful.

     

    FWIW, I have an Oly 5060, PT-020 housing, UCLS arms and a YS-90 auto on a fiberoptic cable.

     

    thanks

  2. Nay,

    Well...I came on here with the idea to recommend lots of pool time photographing those drowned insects (if you're into macro) or those larger pool pelagics in bright swimming trunks. About the only thing I can think of to test on land is to test the preflash handling of your strobe (some have the ability to completely cancel the internal strobe thus saving valuable battery life and recycle time) and its ability to change light output based on aperture settings. Your dark-ish rooms should work fine.

    Later,

    Gary

  3. Thanks guys,

     

    Splashdown divers is a great site. My camera is set to no pre-flash so I haven't had a problem with that and I've been able to get shots of my cat. All of which are over-exposed but I know the strobe is firing.

     

    The thing I'm having a hard time with is the size and weight. My UCLS arms are 8" & 5" and it's just monsterous compared to what I'm used to. On land the YS-90 is pretty heavy and it's pretty difficult to position it, etc.

     

    I'm guessing time and practice are my only options. I'll let you know if I stumble onto anything great.

     

    thanks

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.