Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

My debut video

Started by Craig Ruaux ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

My debut video

4 posts
  1. I was lured a short way down the dark path by Bill Cooper (aka papa on most dive related boards) and handed a Sony HDR HC3 in a SeaTool housing, loaned by Ryan of Reef Photo and Video.

     

    I did one dive with the camera, a night dive on Manuelita Shallows. Of the 44 minutes and ~25.5 GB of footage I captured I edited down to a more respectable (if still large) 3 min 40 seconds.

     

    As a newbie, I of course have some wobbles, some bumps, and with only one light on the housing, some back scatter. I'm hoping that all you esteemed video types can look past that...

     

    My wife did two dives with this rig, including a truly killer diver on Alcyone with thousands of schooling hammerheads, so I think I may have HDV in my future (there's no emoticon for how I am feeling right now :lol: ).

     

    Maneulita Night Dive

     

    This, of course, suffers from web compression. The original on a big screen looks (IMHO of course), awesome.

    Edited by Craig Ruaux
  2. Waaay cool Craig!

     

    Never seen so many sharks. Now where are the hammerheads??

     

    Nicely edited too.

  3. I've been to the Cocos about 10 times over the years. The night dives at Manuelita are always on the lee side and you rarely, if ever, see the hammers at night. Never the less, congrats on your first video experience...there is a whole world of fun (and work) ahead of you.

    Steve B)

  4. Hi Craig

    Well done, cool night shark shots there.

     

    Great to see the little HC3 films well underwater.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.