I thought it might make a interesting discussion about my return e-mail to Ed who was interested in buying my custom camera housing for the Fuji S2 Pro. Ed has decided on buying Ikelite’s Fuji S2 Pro housing but has asked me to build a different back for it. Ike’s housing can not access all the push button controls that are on the back of the camera.
Hi Ed,
Sounds like a real challenge, but I’d be willing to give it a try.
But don’t you think that Ike would have done it himself if he could ?
I believe that camera housing manufactures are in a state of wait and see.
Most manufacture have quite investment in tooling in their next or existing housings. With new and cheaper cameras on the horizon no one wants to put to much expense into a housing that won’t be wanted by the time it’s finished.
Some of Ike’s housing are being retro fitted from his arsenal of 35mm film camera housings. He will have to spend a lot of money to make a injection mold for a camera that might not be sold in less than a year. A mold of this type can cost as much as $ 10,000 to 30,000 that’s a lot of housings to sell just to make up their cost of tooling. I don’t think their are many if any housing manufacturers that have their own injection systems. Their usually farmed out to specialty companies that only blow the parts for others.
I know from personal experience that I have made molds for different video cameras and by the time the molds were finished a new camera was released and the consumer now wanted the new model. It’s a challenge to anticipate what will be around for some time to recoup your expenses and make a profit. I think forms like this are most helpful for manufactures, they can feel the market out and make better decision on what their going to build.
Now their are those companies that use CNC machining to cut a block of solid aluminum into a housing. This is still time consuming and labor extensive. Their is still a lot of man hours of labor that goes into fit and finish work. They also must be anodized and painted to hold back the elements. The prices of these housings usually reflect the amount of man hours involved into fabricating.
We are all at the mercy of the industry that’s changing every day as we speak.. I believe that it will never change all that much different than the video market has gone. How else will they be able to sell you a new camera every year. More features, better resolution, changing styles on and on we go. Hopefully the higher priced professional cameras will at some point max out and stable so we all can get on with taking pictures, and housing manufactures can make a decision and a decent profit. We want them to be successful, it only makes things cheaper and more readily available.
Marc