Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Interview with Eric Cheng

Started by Mary Lynn ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Interview with Eric Cheng

12 posts
  1. OK folks, the latest DiveFilm Podcast Video episode is up and it's the interview I recently did with Eric Cheng. What I wanted to do was get some of his thoughts on making the transition from underwater still photography to video, what skills were transferable, what helped, what new skills he needed to acquire in the process. My thinking was that because it was so close in time to his first dives doing video, I could get more of a sense of his early impressions. And, of course, I was hoping he'd let me use some of his cool images and video to illustrate the interview, and this he very graciously agreed to do. (Thank you, Eric.)

     

    Here in San Diego, a bunch of us meet monthly to share tips, questions, show footage and (hopefully) improve our work. (Kind of like here on WetPixel!) So I'm always interested in hearing how others approach issues in underwater video like white balance and (my big challenge) camera stabilization.

     

    I learned some things from the interview with Eric, as I do from many other imagers. Hope you enjoy this podcast (and don't razz Eric *too* much for his interview!?)

     

    You can get to the podcast if you have iTunes on your computer here, or get more details about accessing DiveFilm Podcast Video by clicking on the link in the righthand navigation bar.

     

    Mary Lynn

    Edited by Mary Lynn
  2. "Nobody love you" is still the most recent episode showing on my itunes. May be just a delay.

  3. I downloaded it a few hours ago, but I haven't listened to it yet...

  4. Yeah, it's downloading now.

  5. Eric has a really big screen!

     

    nicely down mary

  6. Nice podcast Mary. And not bad Eric for a first attempt at video :D:)

  7. Nice one Mary.

     

    Love his big screen.

     

    Eric you could of brushed ya hair... :D

  8. Excellent work Mary, and Eric - very interesting.

  9. That's great. Excellent presentation. Thanks Mary and Eric.

     

    What he doesn't mention is that he can hide behind his big video housing when the big sharks come along!

     

    Alex

  10. Pushing away 10' tiger sharks with his housing....the dude's got brass balls.

     

    Eric, I don't know you personally, but you already have my respect.

  11. Thank you, folks.

     

    And a special thank you to the photographers whose shots of Eric appear in the podcast: Alex Mustard, David Haas, Dave Patchen, James Wiseman, Bruce Yates. (Did I miss anyone?) Thank you all!

     

    Mary Lynn

    DiveFilm.com

    Edited by Mary Lynn
  12. Mary,

     

    Very well done, and Eric was great choosing his words carefully and succinctly :D

     

    Wagsy, that IS how Eric combs his hair when he hasn't shaved his head for extended salt water immersion.....LOL

     

    Peacedog, one trip on the Shearwater and you, too, can be that close to sharks (and have those appendages :) It ain't rocket science but it sure is fun.

     

    Wish I was near San Diego as I need to find one place liieyour group to learn about video. Seems it's changing as fast as digital stills and hard to keep up with....

     

    Keep those Podcasts coming!

     

    dhaas

    Edited by dhaas
Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.