Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Strobes Choices

Started by bigken462 ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobes Choices

1 posts
  1. Moderator, I’m not exactly sure where to place this post. Please move and repost as you se fit.

     

    Hello all, hope all is well back home. I was referred to the group by Mr. Parker; thank you sir. I have a couple of things I’m working on before I return back to the states. My goal is to dive the Oriskany the first weekend back in September. I hope to bring back tons of pictures to get me through till my next R&R in the spring time. One of my problems here is lack of time and preparation before going on this trip. I will arrive on a Saturday and only get one or two “refresh dives†in before heading down south the next weekend. Now to get back on topic:

     

    Recently I have been looking at B&H for housings for my Canon 30D. I have picked a housing made by Aquitca and hope it will be released in the next few weeks. I received an e-mail from Brian at Aquitica, and it’s supposed to be just around the corner. B&H however does not yet have the item listed and I can’t seem to get a direct answer as to when they will be picking it up.

     

    For the most part I have made my mind up on glass to use, and nearly sure at this point to use my Canon 10-22 wide angle for my choice of lenses on this particular dive. This ship is a monster 883 foot aircraft carrier so I don’t think there will be much need for macro here on this dive. So I’ll move on to the next problem; being which set of strobe(s) to buy.

     

    I have been looking at the DS125 and it does look appealing to me, as does the DS200. I question myself though if the little bit of wattage and only 10 more flashes is worth the extra 300.00 in price between the two. My confusion here though is – Is two strobes better than one. Example: 2 DS200’s, or 2 DS125’s or a combination of the two. I like simplicity and adaptability so I like the idea of two matching strobes so the batteries will be compatible. However when I got to looking in the site I found several different setups using those and am confused as to where to go.

     

    I’m prepared for the price and I know its not going to be cheap, so that’s not such a deciding problem right now as is just not knowing what the heck to buy. My experience is very limited here; however I only intend to buy ONCE and only once. I’d much rather pay more now, than a lot later by having to re-buy. Like tech diving – growing into your sport can be PRICEY!

     

    If any of you find a moment to give me a suggested list of items when it comes down to the strobes and lighting, I would be most thankful. I’m not yet positive that B&H will be selling a “kit†for the 30D housing so I figured I would be preparing ahead of time so I can get this stuff on the way before I get home. If I can figure out the strobe stuff I may go ahead and get those ordered this week. Time is not on my side here as I can’t wait till I depart back home to get the ball rolling.

     

     

    Thanks, :D

     

    Kenny Taylor

    Tikrit, Iraq

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.