I shoot a CP5K, and have upgraded my firmware to 1.7. This enables Raw image file capture. From here, I'm quite lost:
I see this file size is about 1/2 of Tiff. Is the quality as good? Is it much better than Jpeg? Why would I choose to use the Raw mode?
I also have heard that Raw does not sharpen, or otherwise manipulate or process the images. What does this mean to me? Do I have to open each image in Photoshop and manually apply white balance, sharpening, color optimisation, etc., to each image? Or can images be used as-is and only manipulated further if by choice?
What programs are able to open and manipulate Raw photos? I have been using my XP photo wizard to import images rather than the Nikon software, but after taking some .nef images, XP doesn't seem to recognize the files on the camera.
I know, lots of questions. Any answers would be super.
Rob.