Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Magic Filter/Macro/Internal flash

Started by orecha ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Magic Filter/Macro/Internal flash

3 posts
  1. My equipment for underwater photos is an Olympus(C-70), an Ikelite housing ,the Magic Filter and my white slate to take manually the WB.

    I know it is not enough, but I am a beginner in this kind of photography and I want to know if it is possible to take satisfied Macro photos with the Magic Filter and my internal flash only. If it is possible, please show me the way.

    Thanks

    Orecha

  2. I'm sure I'll get corrected, but I'm pretty sure that Magic Filters are intended to be used without the flash. The filter removes the blue cast when your flash doesn't fire. Assuming your subject gets plenty of ambient light and isn't hiding in the shadows, you shouldn't have to fire the flash with the Magic Filters.

     

    If the subject is in the shadows, you need to light it up using the strobe, which in your case is internal. A problem with macro mode and internal flashes in most point-and-shoot cameras is that the lens barrell on the housing tends stick out a lot and casts a shadow when the internal flash fires. I have seen folks use their hand as a makeshift reflector to help eliminate this shadow. They'll take their hand and place it in the water in front and above the housing. With the palm facing the camera they'll angle their hand so when the flash fires, some light will bounce off the pale skin of their hand and be redirected down to the subject more evenly. This is supposed to help eliminate the shadow caused by the protruding lens barrell.

  3. Thanks for your very analized report!

    Orecha

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.