Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

New Diver trying to decide on a camera

Started by mackiejane ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

New Diver trying to decide on a camera

4 posts
  1. Hello All-

    I'll be certified within the next week and I'm cruising to the Western carribean on September 3rd. I still haven't been able to make up my mind about which UW camera/housing to go with?? I have been going back and forth between: Olympus Stylus 710, SP-320 and SP-350 with their appropriate housings: PT-032 and PT-030. Oh and I want to get that Magic Filter too! The camera and the housing together pretty much tap out my budget but now I'm confused on the issue of additional lighting (Flashes vs. Strobes). I've read about the Sunpack-G-Flash, the Olympus FL-020 Flash but I'm not sure if either of these will be necessary for my needs? I'm not really sure what I'll need yet because I've never been that deep in the water? My only UW experience has been snorkeling in the Keys (I live in Tampa), Grand Cayman and Belize with the el-cheapo disposable UW cameras. Call me crazy but I was excited about how good some of those pics turned out! I'm quite easily amused!!! My basic goal is to be able to take a bunch of pics underwater of the fish and the corals just to share with my firends and relatives. I'm no professional photographer but I love taking pictures of everything and printing them out to enjoy. I'm just not exactly sure what I need...and then there are a bunch of additional cables and stuff? Plus there are issues of which lights/cables fit which housings? So right now, I'm lost...any suggestions would be totally apreciated!!! Thanks for reading my ramble ya'll.

  2. Hi Jane,

     

    You'll probably hear this other places too but - please consider that underwater photography requires a lot of "attention" and is best reserved until after you've been diving a few times and feel comfortable with all the tasks you'll need to do just to stay alive.

     

    With that said, you may want to bring a camera along with you to use underwater toward the end of your trip. If you'll be doing diving from a cruise ship, this can be quite hectic, as they have a strict time-table, so keep that in mind too. Don't let yourself be pushed for time and forget to put the o-ring into your camera, etc!

     

    For starters, one really excellent camera that just came out is the Fuji F30 with Fuji housing. You can use it without a strobe, using the internal flash only - but you should be 1 foot or less from your subject. Otherwise, you can use it with no flash, but keep in mind your photos will be quite blue. You can look at using a Magic Filter (do a search) or the newer Auto Magic filter if it's available by the time your trip leaves.

     

    I'm sure you'll get some great advice here. Most importantly, have fun, and don't let diving w/ a camera compromise your safety as a new diver.

     

    James

  3. MJ

    I would add to James comment in saying that diving with a camera alone can add some challenges to your dive; however, clipping a small point and shoot camera like the ones you mentioned to your BC after you're comfortable with your diving skills can bring added enjoyment. I'd forget the strobe issue until you've shot a few pics with just the camera. The Magic Filter is a good idea. The camera with strobes adds a whole set of new problems to think/worry about that a new diver. You have a lot more fun and less frustration learning your camera first and then adding the strobes as you grow with the sport. Just my opinion. BTW, I own the SP-350 and have been happy with that decision. Later,

    Gary

  4. MJ

     

    I was photographing myself for two year with a digital compact camera like the Fuji suggested above. I had lot of fun with it. It is compact to take with you on the dive and easy to operate.

    If you use a filter, I think you best do not use the flash anyway so don't bother about additional lightning.

     

    Maybe it would be a good idea to look for the Padi digital underwater photography specialty course, it will introduce you to some basic elements in a controled environment.

     

    http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/digitalunde...otographer.aspx

     

    Sven.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.