I just read on DPreview that it's possible to sync your flash at 1/180 (as opposed to the slower 1/125th) if you are not shooting in TTL. I can't wait to try this! Here's where I read it, not much info:
I had heard that you could get 1/180th if you use the PC socket, but this guy is using a flash mounted on the hotshoe!
Cheers
James
On a somewhat realted topic, you can ask Ike to make an adaptor so you can use your D125's onland.
And on an even more distantly realted note, flash batteries, I just "discovered" what some of you already know. Dead CR123 batteries will drag down your S2 but NO CR123 batteries and it works just fine. It might be better to take them out before diving. . .
Flash you later
Sure I can ask him, but why don't YOU ask him if you're the one that's interested???
:-P
Cheers
James "Wiseman" Wiseman
Are you sure that’s not... James “Wiseguy” Wiseman ?
Just kidding,
Marc
Yep, the CR123s can be left out and the S2 will work just fine but there are two minor considerations. First, the internal flash will not work without the CR123s. Not a problem if you're shooting available light or have an external strobe. Second, the LED display in the viewfinder stops displaying after the main battery pack gets to a certain level of discharge. (not sure what that level is, exactly) Actually, the LED display goes in stages. It's on full time until a certain level of discharge and then it only comes on when the shutter is pressed but after additional discharge of the battery pack is the display no longer lights up at all. The camera continues to function just fine. At least, that's what's happening on mine. Is anyone else experiencing something different?
I experience the same thing John. When running on AA's only, the camera works fine. I have heard of people getting 200+ shots off the AA's when running this way.
When the AA's get low, there is a "low battery" icon on the back LCD display panel - at this point, the green display inside the viewfinder only comes on when the shutter is half-pressed. After batteries are further drained, the camera shuts down w/ a beep.
FWIW, I got a pack of 30 CR123a's from Botach Tactical for like $40 so I use them all the time and just make sure I have a fresh pair in on important shoots. I like to use the popup flash topside for fill - it works great.