Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

canon d60 - what wide angle lens would you buy

Started by chrisg ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

canon d60 - what wide angle lens would you buy

7 posts
  1. The choices are (cheapest to most expensive)

    canon 15mm fisheye $549

    sigma 14mm $799

    canon 14mm $1799

     

    I already have the canon 20mm but its not wide enough for the 1.6x digital focal length multiplier.

  2. Haven't got any of the three you're looking at, but planning on buying the Sigma 14mm in a month or so for my D60.

  3. There is also the Sigma fisheye.

    The fisheyes are smaller, lighter, cheaper, wider, and more flare-resistant than the 14's.

     

    Their curvature is not bad on most shots underwater and can easily be corrected using ImageAlign or Panotools.

  4. Well, I know for a fact the Canon 14mm is a great lens. I've been with a pro while he was using it. Actually, $1799 is a good price for that lens. Now, is it worth it? I sure as heck don't know.

     

    I am of the opinion that fisheye's with the digital crop give you an image that is not curved enough for special effect and curved too much for a normal shot.

  5. If you only intend to use the lens for UW shooting, then try the fisheye. You won't even be able to tell it's a fisheye lens when you look at the pix.

     

    If you intend to use the lens topside too, then I recommend the Sigma 14mm. I use the Sigma and I got a lot of nice shots last week at Big Bend w/ that lens. Couldn't have gotten them w/ the fisheye.

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. Don't forget the Sigma 15mm Fisheye $399

  7. I agree with James entirely. It's easy to see the fisheye with cropping as the worst of both worlds, but it is, in fact, the opposite. The lens won't give you the dramatic distortion you expect but that's a good thing unless you really want it. Most of the time you won't be looking for that. On the other hand, the distortion it does have is fine most of the time and easily corrected when it is unwelcome.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.