Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

new here and Hi!

Started by mhdiver ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

new here and Hi!

6 posts
  1. Hi,

    I'm new here and new to the world of underwater photography. However I am a professional photographer and instructor above water. I am just starting my scuba training and want to get a UW camera setup. I'm looking to do my UW photgraphy as hobby and not to make money as I do above water.

     

    I am very interested in the Sealife DC500 elite. Could anyone please give me their opinions about the camera and set up!

     

    Thanks,

    I hope to have some of my first UW images soon

     

    Mike B)

     

    You can see my AW images @ www.mhaganphoto.com

  2. Hi Mike and welcome to Wetpixel. ;)

     

    Im a mainly a video guy but there is some very talented underwater photo folks here that I'm sure will help you out heaps.

     

    Welome to the world of Scuba as well...

     

    I'll check you site out.

     

    Paul Wags

  3. The Sealife (IMHO) is a neat little camera but as a professional I think you will be profoundly unhappy. Ultimately you will end up with a housed SLR (digital or film as you see fit) but that's where you will end up so you might bite the bullet and go for it sooner than later. On the other hand, the Sealife will be fine until your dive skills get near your photo skills then you will want more control. At least that's how I expect it to go.

    Bill

  4. I think Bvanant is right. Maybe if you tell us what your equipment is (and want to risk a flood) we can give you a better advice ...

  5. Welcome! I think you'll be very happy underwater.

     

    If you have a DSLR for land you will absolutely get the best value for your money by purchasing a housing for it (can be expensive, but worth it). Some of your favorite lenses might just come along for the ride!

     

    -- Justin

  6. Hi all,

    Thanks for you comments!

    That is kind of what I expected!

     

    As mentioned I am concerned about a "flood" in my camera housing. My main camera's I shoot the most are the nikon D70s (I have two) I plan on getting my D200 in the next 6 months.

     

    I have looking into the housing for the d70s and they cost more then the camera did, what's up with that!

    However I think you a correct in the fact the I will most likely end up with a house eventually.

     

    The main reason for thinking about getting the dc500 is that I like the idea of an under and above water camera that I can use and not really thinks about all of the camera stuff. Also that I can hand the camera to my dive partner to take photos of ME playing with the stingray, sharks and whatever life threatening sea creatures I encounter. Yes I want nice photos too, but there is something to be said for simplicity.

     

    Now what do you think I should do?

     

    Mike

    dive safe and often!

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.