Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Scalloped Hammerheads

Started by FishHunter ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Scalloped Hammerheads

3 posts
  1. Having had several encounters with the timid scalloped hammerhead in the Red Sea, I often wonder how to get that classic silhouette shot from below.

    From my experience, as a mere Adv O/W recreational diver, I have always found the subject in question to be lurking below, reluctant to get too close and timid enough to sink out of sight if I dare try to decend that little deeper. Admittedly I was surrounded by flash happy divers with rattles at the time!

     

    My question is, can this shot be achieved on open scuba equipment within recreational limits or is it only possible for those using rebreathers?

  2. The thing is that the Red Sea may not be the best place to get that pic. Cocos and Galapagos are probably the best places to get those pics (my avatar is from Galapagos at around 20 m deep...). The only hammerhead I´ve seen in the Red Sea was also very deep and timid...

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.