Hi all
Last weekend I shot some footage of a Blue Shark while in Cornwall, UK. There's nothing particularly astounding about Blue shark footage as there is already plenty of it out there, but it could possibly be a first for filming this species underwater in the UK. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of Blue sharks around our shores in summer months, but they are difficult to find and no one as far as I'm aware has ever attempted this before.
The footage was shot while on a pilot project to try to ascertain if it could be viable to operate a shark eco-tourist business in future years. Visibility was ok(ish) at around 5-7m. It was the first time that I'd ever attempted to film from a cage though and I never realised how difficult it could be! We used a 1 man cage which was bobbing around at the surface in the swell and bashing into the side of the boat. I managed to 'wedge' my head through the cage which kept me from being thrown about too much, but overall it felt what it must be like to be inside a washing machine!
My problem (and believe me I'm really kicking myself over this) is that my housing lens had a couple of salt crystals on it from earlier in the day that were not noticed before I started filming (inexcusable I know arrrrrggggghhhhh!). Please take a look if you can and if anyone knows a way to clean this up a bit without fixing every frame in photoshop then I'd be more than grateful.
Cheers, Simon